Towing

tbsimmons

Reaction score
You are good at being condescending. WOW!!
How many 48' enclosed trailers have you seen that are only going to weigh 13000#. I can add that for you if you want. Trailer plus 3 buggies. Yea I am sure he will be more than 13000#.
2500*3=7500 and I am sure they might be more than that. Throw another 1500# of tires, fuel and other ****. 9000#.
Not knowing which one he is towing, I bet is a triple axle with most likely 6000# axles under it or duals with 7000 range ones.
So lets say that he, like the rest of people with trailers, loads more into it than originally planned and is in the 15000# Gross range.
Say only 15% is tongue weight that puts it at 2250 if loaded right. Most enclosed trailers or haulers I have seen the axles are pretty far back so the pin weight would be closer to 20% I bet now you are at 3000# or more since he wants buggies in there all close to the pin. A F250 4x4 etc. weighs in the 7500 range. add 3000# to that and now you are at 10,500 and over weight. Another thing is tires. I am sure the back of these trucks are close to 3000# in the back. Throw the pin weight fuel, crap in the bed etc. Over Gross of the truck and tires now unless he has the 3500+# tire rating ones.
This is why I recommended a dually. You guys do what you want, I don't care not my money.
Ty was the one defending a F150 to tow 10,000# was the reason for that part.

Last edited:

JRLott

Reaction score
You are good at being condescending. WOW!!
How many 48' enclosed trailers have you seen that are only going to weigh 13000#. I can add that for you if you want. Trailer plus 3 buggies. Yea I am sure he will be more than 13000#.
2500*3=7500 and I am sure they might be more than that. Throw another 1500# of tires, fuel and other ****. 9000#.
Not knowing which one he is towing, I bet is a triple axle with most likely 6000# axles under it or duals with 7000 range ones.
So lets say that he, like the rest of people with trailers, loads more into it than originally planned and is in the 15000# Gross range.
Say only 15% is tongue weight that puts it at 2250 if loaded right. Most enclosed trailers or haulers I have seen the axles are pretty far back so the pin weight would be closer to 20% I bet now you are at 3000# or more since he wants buggies in there all close to the pin. A F250 4x4 etc. weighs in the 7500 range. add 3000# to that and now you are at 10,500 and over weight. Another thing is tires. I am sure the back of these trucks are close to 3000# in the back. Throw the pin weight fuel, crap in the bed etc. Over Gross of the truck and tires now unless he has the 3500+# tire rating ones.
This is why I recommended a dually. You guys do what you want, I don't care not my money.
Ty was the one defending a F150 to tow 10,000# was the reason for that part.

Thanks! I must return the complement by saying that you are most excellent at taking things personally and getting upset when others don't agree with you 100%. Not only in this thread. Please note that I agreed with you approximately 97.482%. I snipped the 150 bs for reasons stated AND agreed with you. So pick your sucker up, rinse the dirt off it, and let's have a beer. :pint::toast:

Your link, his numbers. Those are the only ones you or I have to base our arguments. Does it sound light to me? Yes. Is he asking if he should go buy an F550? No, in fact he's stated any new truck is not a possibility at this point. It's up to him to stay within weights. End of story.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Again thanks for being condescending.
I don't take things personal, too many other things to think about., oil price being one of them. Like I stated I just stat what I have done and how it has effected me along with what the limits are of vehicles.
I am a ME, so I am a numbers person with proof and usually revert back to that and not what works. The only people I take personal is my boss and immediate family. Everyone else can suck it.

JRLott

Reaction score
Again thanks for being condescending.
I don't take things personal, too many other things to think about., oil price being one of them. Like I stated I just stat what I have done and how it has effected me along with what the limits are of vehicles.
I am a ME, so I am a numbers person with proof and usually revert back to that and not what works. The only people I take personal is my boss and immediate family. Everyone else can suck it.

You're very welcome....again. Continuing to thank me, highlighting my best assets, and pointing out your inability to take a bit of good natured ribbing isn't helping your assertion that you don't take things personally.
Worrying about the price of oil isn't going to help it go up. Since you apparently missed it the three previous times I've said it...I completely agree you need your truck to do what you do with it and the OP would be better off with a DRW. I disagree that it can't be done with his SRW as long as a bit of logic, caution, and knowledge are employed.
Why? Because I have this funny feeling Ford consulted a ME or two in deciding what GAWR, GVWR, & GCWR capabilities of each truck configuration. In addition, I figure they also consulted a lawyer or two to ascertain a safety factor for the final numbers in order to limit potential liability litigation. So, unless you have all their data, you being a ME is largely irrelevant, since I, Ty, and the OP can read a chart and adequately perform remedial arithmetic.

89 Stroker

Reaction score
I found some tires on tire rack that were 3500 , 3700 and I think I saw one that was 3800 , not that it makes much difference but the cars I am hauling only weigh about 1600 pounds each , maybe a little less , they are light cars for what they are.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Tires are like cars, I have my preferences on them as do others.
I have been a fan of Goodyear for a while but had Toyo on my lifted F350. Anyone of them most likely will be fine. Will be a little hard but when unloaded I ran mine about 35-40 psi and was alright. Just enough air to wear them evenly.

Notneb

Reaction score
I found some tires on tire rack that were 3500 , 3700 and I think I saw one that was 3800 , not that it makes much difference but the cars I am hauling only weigh about 1600 pounds each , maybe a little less , they are light cars for what they are.

I never go with under 3800lbs rating on my tow pig. Stiffer sidewall makes for nicer towing no matter what the weight of the payload.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Probably back in the '80s, there was the hillbilly fender flare trend. Basically, it was something resembling a mud flap that wrapped the entire wheel well. I tried googling for pictures, but came up empty handed. The closest I could get were these. http://pacerperformance.com/product...-deluxe-chrome-hi-5-cab-roof-light-kit-detail If your truck has stock size wheels and tires and you wanted to put duals on the rear only, maybe something similar to this might be a cheap solution with those wheels and tires on.

TyCorr

Reaction score
There are kits that will allow you to convert SRW to drw. Every single one will explicitly say that their kit does not raise the trucks rated capacity, lol.
Basically, the weak points would become the axle, and not the tire, and nobody wants that liability. Your service intervals would be shorter, at a minimum, and yes, you could burn up the srw Axle, if it's overloaded too long. For occasional use, training wheels would definitely help with wind or sway problems.
Ninteen/fives definitely handle the weight better, but even as a super single, you won't like the ride, unloaded.
As far as the lifted Truck thing, just make sure that there is about the same weight on all the trailer tires. Some guys have had to put a "lift kit" on the trailer to keep the trailer level. Personally, I think that's retarded, but it does work. Different people do different things, and if they like it, :thumbsup:

It is super cheeseball to lift the trailer. Ive done it once though. It was ok for a while. But ultimately went back to as built.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Thanks! I must return the complement by saying that you are most excellent at taking things personally and getting upset when others don't agree with you 100%. Not only in this thread. Please note that I agreed with you approximately 97.482%. I snipped the 150 bs for reasons stated AND agreed with you. So pick your sucker up, rinse the dirt off it, and let's have a beer. :pint::toast:

Your link, his numbers. Those are the only ones you or I have to base our arguments. Does it sound light to me? Yes. Is he asking if he should go buy an F550? No, in fact he's stated any new truck is not a possibility at this point. It's up to him to stay within weights. End of story.

Yes. You can say "in this instance I agree with you"...."well Ive seen cars towing!" Knee jerk replies to add dramatic flair to pointless deflection.

Im not sure why we're calling them "half tons" anymore or 3/4 tons. My point was very simple in my comment about him being alive pre cr truck era. Ill explain it your direction as I believe and have pretty good proof that he'll disregard it. Completely. Im saying back in the pre sd days, a f250 rclb with a 460 or 351 would have been used to tow a camper or cattle trailer. You dudnt always have a full 18 wheeler load. So you'd throw 8 or so in your cattle hauler and run em up. By his logic, we all died in a horrific rollover that devolved into a flaming inferno. Just for simply pulling things.

The trucks have gotten so good people are running around in trucks that can handle 30k lbs but they're afraid of campers and hauling a car.

Im not being condescending. Im diffusing his drama. Its unneeded. Ive ran the stuff as I described and been through dot stops. Ive never been ticketed for improper usage. Theres a reason we have to show up with the truck and trailer for our inspections.

A 1/2 ton truck is arguably more capable of towing a 10klb trailer in 2016 than a f350 was in 1996. Just to put perspective to that aspect. I dont use halfton trucks to do that anyway. In fact ive only owned one.

But yea, a 53' trailer I'd definitely use a.....semi. seriously. If you need a 53 footer to pull toys and are that much of a stickler on what's safen like tbsimmons, he should be recommending a kenworth and van trailer.

Last edited:

Dirtclod

Reaction score
looking at picking up a 53 foot enclosed goose neck car hauler and am second guessing if my truck can handle it,

2015 F250 6.7 obviously single rear wheel CCLB , its the basic model with no upgrades, im not sure of the weight of the trailer yet, but it would haul 3 baja bugs in it along with tires and such

what yall think?

I'd say pull it one time and you'll be a huntin a Dually! I pull a 36' pull behind 12k Tt with a f250 and down right sux. I'm upgrading to a bigger 5er and I'll be pulling with a f450. I like the payload of these trucks and it won't be my dd. I'll keep the 250 7.3 for that. Now,a friend of mine has a 2500 Dodge and he put DRW adapters on his. Put a flat bed on it and he's pretty happy. These sterling rears are beefy enough for this but that being said I would opt for rear axle swap and get the springs and blocks to go with it. Then there's the front. Which to me is 2nd best benefit,turning radius. You're gonna need turning radius with 53' on the back. Like I said,it won't take you long to decide what you need. Just don't hurt anyone including you!

JRLott

Reaction score
Yeah, the F150 thing I personally don't like...its just me as, yes, I still view them as "half tons". Yes, they are just as or more capable than the 3/4 & 1 tons of yesteryear.

We weren't talking about what I'd do, but since you brought it up, I'd buy the trailer of choice, hook it up to my woefully inadequate SRW pickup, load it with the toys, and head to the desert whenever it struck my fancy and never think twice about it. If I had a 20k trailer I pulled a few hundred miles once a year, I'd hook that b@stard up to my F250 and go. If I hauled it regularly, I'd probably step up to DRW.

If his desert toys are as light as he says, which I have zero reason not to believe, he'll be fine. Biggest thing I see, as dirt said, is turning that long rascal. That's gonna be an experience. I also have no idea how picky the dot are in CA when it comes to recreational use. If they're d!cks, a DRW might be cheaper.

I vehemently despise bumper pull anything. I hate the way they tow, and can only imagine how horrid it is to pull a 12k TT. Hope I never have to experience it.

Last edited:

89 Stroker

Reaction score
going to pick it up today so will let you know how it goes, got a B&W hitch installed yesterday so we will see how it goes, gonna for sure get new tires here before i load it with anything, But yes my payload is low compared to how some would use this trailer, even with 3 cars in the trailer, along with all my tools, tires, fuel, ect im maybe pushing 6K minus trailer weight.

JRLott

Reaction score
Definitely need pics. What tires are on your truck now? If they're still in good shape and adequate rating...

89 Stroker

Reaction score
whatever the truck came with from the factory is what is still on it can't remember the brand but I think they had a 3100 pound load rating, I could be wrong.

Here are a few pictures they sent me of it, has interior lights , roof vents , also piped to hook a compressor up to it, new tires and brakes, supposedly they people used it ounce to move from Kentucky to Arizona and that's all they bought it for, it's a 2013 diamond. Will get better ones in the am when it's hooked to the truck

image_2.jpg

image_1.jpg

image.jpg

JRLott

Reaction score
Oooo....3100...that sucks.

Damn nice trailer. Watch your tail swing.

Latest posts

Members online