Towing

WHY NOT

Reaction score
picking up a 48 foot enclosed Friday, dry weight of it i believe is somewhere around 7-8K , the max i would stuff in it would prolly be around 5K or so if that

I would say as long as you keep the total trailer weight 18K and under I wouldn't even bat an eye. You will be more than fine with a SRW at that weight.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Thats not what I said. My point was a 365 hp halfton with provisions for towing is capable legally as many people are doing it. Then I asked what yours was. If you said a 30' I was fully prepared to laugh at you and call you paranoid. If you dont like others input a forum is a horrible place to be.

I agree with your reasoning for using a dually for your setup. But that doesnt mean every trailer is 20k lbs.

My buddyy Daves 32' fiver is legal and hes under weight. So im not sure where your paranoia is. He drives for a living too and weighs trucks for the company he manages so im 75% sure he's oribably right in his assertions.

Then theres the aspectof myself having pulled trailers everyday of my working life. You know how many times people told ne i needed a dually like it was the first day I planned to light out. Nope. I didnt need a dually. Not one bit. Had one.

I agree with why you need one but not every area where you think everyone else should too. There are people who flat out cant run drw trucks.

Theres a guy running a srw here somewhere who is spending a fortune trying to outsmart the fact his traileris junk and he needs a drw to pull it.

Good for your buddy, I still would not pull 10,000 with a half ton. Flat is one thing 7+% grades is a totally different animal more so in the high desert with the wind. Others input, like yours, well it works fine for me. That is not a good reason to me more so coming from people that either don't tow much weight or others that tow too much with a SRW. I did it so telling me I can, I know I can but the stability is not there period.
Really not every trailer is 20K, I didn't know that.
If you look back at my reasoning most of the time it is that once you tow with a dually you wont want to tow with anything else.
32' fiver on a half ton, must be a superlight, has to be for it to be 10,000 or under and no pin weight. I have seen it done, the hills will kill that truck in time. that weight in my mind needs a 3/4 ton. But the big three is in this half ton towable war and to me it is way unsafe. Too much weight behind the truck with not enough weigh in the front. Pin weight on trailers is what kills things. Turn a corner going faster than 10 MPH with 4000# in your bed and tell me what the SRW truck does.

When someone comes on a forum saying they are going to buy a 53' trailer and someone recommends a SRW, they are flat ass wrong. No matter what is done to the suspension you can not get 4 sidewalls with the same rating as 8.
Laughing at me for a 30', you do know a 30' toyhauler can be 15500# plus right with a pin weight in the 3500 range. That is pushing the limits on the gross of a SRW truck. People do it all the time and say it is fine. But again my reasoning is because you have not towed with a dually. Like everyone that does wonders why they didn't do it earlier.
I am not paranoid, I like giving good information to someone that asks to make an educated decision. Yours has been well I tow with a SRW so its good. Well the only place I have found a SRW will work better, sand. Everything else I have put my toyhauler in my duallys do fine.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
It depends on the overall weight that everything will add up to. A big trailer will probably be more problematic due to wind than the actual weight.

I have had more problems in corners with my trailer than the wind actually. Wind sucks ass because it is a big brick but pin weight just kills the tires.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Depends on your desires. I've heard of people bolting DRW wheels to a sterling axle. May have to trim your bed, add flares, or replace it with a dually bed. But a Dana 80 axle would be the right way. Their price varies. If you have a flat bed you can just slap wheels on.

Personally. If I had a SRW, and wanted DRW but only for towing, I'd just bolt the wheels on. Maybe put flares on the truck.

psduser1

Reaction score
It cost me about 2k, buying the Axle, paying a shop to go thru it, and new Springs.
I bolted it in the truck myself, because my airbags needed some one off mounts.
Add tires and rims to that price.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
now how much would it cost to convert it to dually? what kind of pita would i be looking at

To do it right, more than it would cost to just sell yours and buy a dually. May as well just give it a shot and see how you feel towing with the truck, just be sure to take it easy. If it still has a pretty good pucker factor then think about getting a different truck.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Good for your buddy, I still would not pull 10,000 with a half ton. Flat is one thing 7+% grades is a totally different animal more so in the high desert with the wind. Others input, like yours, well it works fine for me. That is not a good reason to me more so coming from people that either don't tow much weight or others that tow too much with a SRW. I did it so telling me I can, I know I can but the stability is not there period.
Really not every trailer is 20K, I didn't know that.
If you look back at my reasoning most of the time it is that once you tow with a dually you wont want to tow with anything else.
32' fiver on a half ton, must be a superlight, has to be for it to be 10,000 or under and no pin weight. I have seen it done, the hills will kill that truck in time. that weight in my mind needs a 3/4 ton. But the big three is in this half ton towable war and to me it is way unsafe. Too much weight behind the truck with not enough weigh in the front. Pin weight on trailers is what kills things. Turn a corner going faster than 10 MPH with 4000# in your bed and tell me what the SRW truck does.

When someone comes on a forum saying they are going to buy a 53' trailer and someone recommends a SRW, they are flat ass wrong. No matter what is done to the suspension you can not get 4 sidewalls with the same rating as 8.
Laughing at me for a 30', you do know a 30' toyhauler can be 15500# plus right with a pin weight in the 3500 range. That is pushing the limits on the gross of a SRW truck. People do it all the time and say it is fine. But again my reasoning is because you have not towed with a dually. Like everyone that does wonders why they didn't do it earlier.
I am not paranoid, I like giving good information to someone that asks to make an educated decision. Yours has been well I tow with a SRW so its good. Well the only place I have found a SRW will work better, sand. Everything else I have put my toyhauler in my duallys do fine.

Were you alive before common rail trucks were produced? Serious question.

And I did not say "i pull with a srw so its fine". I said the scenario you are describing isnt always the case.

Im not sure what your comment about teailer weights meant. Alot of trailers around the 30 foot mark are 10k lbs.

Last edited:

89 Stroker

Reaction score
a new truck is not gonna happen anytime soon, so i will have to make due with what i have, gonna get bags installed along with thicker tires

is bolting dually wheels on a bad idea? or would it still be better then a srw

JRLott

Reaction score
Well, it'd get you the 8 sidewalls Simmons desperately desires you posses. He is right about how much better they handle the load. You'd still be limited on pin weight by the axle though. I've seen it done, and I don't see the point. Put some kick ass rated tires on your SRW and roll the fvck on...while keeping your head outta your posterior. Same basic concept as the super singles.

Jomax

Reaction score
Well, it'd get you the 8 sidewalls Simmons desperately desires you posses. He is right about how much better they handle the load. You'd still be limited on pin weight by the axle though. I've seen it done, and I don't see the point. Put some kick ass rated tires on your SRW and roll the fvck on...while keeping your head outta your posterior. Same basic concept as the super singles.

Or jump to 19.5 SRW tires/Rims. I've heard that makes them tow extremely well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRLott

Reaction score
Or jump to 19.5 SRW tires/Rims. I've heard that makes them tow extremely well.

Or this. Wtfever you do enjoy the crap outta your truck & trailer. Your life would be much more enjoyable if you don't post these kinds of threads on the interwebz. Hook the d@mn trailer up and drag your zippy go fast desert toyz to the desert and have a blast. :thumbup:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Or this. Wtfever you do enjoy the crap outta your truck & trailer. Your life would be much more enjoyable if you don't post these kinds of threads on the interwebz. Hook the d@mn trailer up and drag your zippy go fast desert toyz to the desert and have a blast. :thumbup:

Yep..

89 Stroker

Reaction score
Now , how do trailers like these do with a lifted truck? Example
If I ever had to hook it to my 97 350 cclb 6" lift in front and 4" in rear (assuming it will fit) it's got 18x12's on it.

psduser1

Reaction score
a new truck is not gonna happen anytime soon, so i will have to make due with what i have, gonna get bags installed along with thicker tires

is bolting dually wheels on a bad idea? or would it still be better then a srw

There are kits that will allow you to convert SRW to drw. Every single one will explicitly say that their kit does not raise the trucks rated capacity, lol.
Basically, the weak points would become the axle, and not the tire, and nobody wants that liability. Your service intervals would be shorter, at a minimum, and yes, you could burn up the srw Axle, if it's overloaded too long. For occasional use, training wheels would definitely help with wind or sway problems.
Ninteen/fives definitely handle the weight better, but even as a super single, you won't like the ride, unloaded.
As far as the lifted Truck thing, just make sure that there is about the same weight on all the trailer tires. Some guys have had to put a "lift kit" on the trailer to keep the trailer level. Personally, I think that's retarded, but it does work. Different people do different things, and if they like it, :thumbsup:

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Were you alive before common rail trucks were produced? Serious question.

And I did not say "i pull with a srw so its fine". I said the scenario you are describing isnt always the case.

Im not sure what your comment about teailer weights meant. Alot of trailers around the 30 foot mark are 10k lbs.

Yes, not understanding the question. If its about how they used to allow cars to tow because of HP, yea that was smart thing. Seen many swinging and swaying too.

Yes you have, many times because you say a DRW will not work for you.

Yes I am aware, been in RV's for around the RV life for about 32 years now. Like i said they are called Super Lights or a other similar term. Still dent mean it is right if you are max or over towing because a 1/2 will work.

Last edited:

tbsimmons

Reaction score

I have just done both with the same trailers so giving information on what is done and what I have done. But telling someone that a SRW is fine with a big toy hauler, be realistic. I am close to max on my dually but see people tow trailers like mine with a SRW all the time. Is it right, I don't think so, so when asked a question like this I give my experience. I don't understand why a person that can defend the choice of SRW can't take the fact that some people will defend the choice of a DRW. Pin weight yes, but having a SRW you are limited by tires. Even if they are 3800 per tire, that is 7600. Now even if mine are only 3000, I am at 12000#. Little of a different in my eyes.
I know most that defend the SRW wont look at this:
http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/towing/
I gained what 5000 on Conventional towing and 10000 on fiver.
So saying you can tow close to this with a halfton for example is wrong.
SRW F350 - 15700# Fiver and 14000# Conventional.
Now tell me again how I am wrong to recommend why someone should get a dually when towing.
F150
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/payload/
Max fiver I saw was 10,800#. I would never do that. Max payload in the 3000# range. Means the truck weighs only 4000#. Yea ok. This is my point why recommend a 2 oz hammer when you need a 10 oz sledge?
My first personal fiver with a pin weight at 1800 and unloaded was 8000 IIRC and was 26' long would be too heavy for this truck. Guess what it is not called half ton towable. That trailer would destroy the truck on anything but down hill.

Last edited:

89 Stroker

Reaction score
I have just done both with the same trailers so giving information on what is done and what I have done. But telling someone that a SRW is fine with a big toy hauler, be realistic. I am close to max on my dually but see people tow trailers like mine with a SRW all the time. Is it right, I don't think so, so when asked a question like this I give my experience. I don't understand why a person that can defend the choice of SRW can't take the fact that some people will defend the choice of a DRW. Pin weight yes, but having a SRW you are limited by tires. Even if they are 3800 per tire, that is 7600. Now even if mine are only 3000, I am at 12000#. Little of a different in my eyes.
So saying you can tow close to this with a halfton for example is wrong.
Now tell me again how I am wrong to recommend why someone should get a dually when towing.
F150
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/payload/
Max fiver I saw was 10,800#. I would never do that. Max payload in the 3000# range. Means the truck weighs only 4000#. Yea ok. This is my point why recommend a 2 oz hammer when you need a 10 oz sledge?
My first personal fiver with a pin weight at 1800 and unloaded was 8000 IIRC and was 26' long would be too heavy for this truck. Guess what it is not called half ton towable. That trailer would destroy the truck on anything but down hill.

i have been over that list a couple times reassuring myself with the weight, my truck for gooseneck is rated at 16K, unless i am reading it wrong

what are some thick tires that retain the stock size that are out there?

tbsimmons

Reaction score
When I had a SRW I used Toyo but that was before I bought the 08 450. IF I remember right they were in the 3500# range per tire.
Depending on the size on the truck you can get some in the 3400# range per tire.
Look on tirerack.

JRLott

Reaction score
...snip...
F150...snip...

picking up a 48 foot enclosed Friday, dry weight of it i believe is somewhere around 7-8K , the max i would stuff in it would prolly be around 5K or so if that

I stand by my assertion that he's absolutely fine with his truck. I present exhibit A as your link (which I had saved in iBooks long before this thread), and exhibit B as his weights. Based on this, you should say exactly the same.

Exhibit C is the fact that I said you are correct about DRW handling the weight better. So, you can certainly say that it would be better. Not required though.

Why are you wrong about a DRW? It costs more up front, an extra 50% in tires, typically less fuel economy, more wear & tear, drive throughs are a nightmare, bank drive up windows impossible, and just generally a bigger PITA to park & drive. Most don't need it. Me being one, Ty being two, and most importantly the OP. He's already said a new truck isn't in the cards, so unless you plan on buying him one that he doesn't need, it's irrelevant. Please read the "Exhibit C" sentence one more time before you let sandy vaginitis get the better of you again.

Were I dragging a 16,000+ pound fifth wheel or trailer all over the country, or regularly, I'd have 6 tires on the ground.

F150 bs was snipped as I wouldn't recommend them to pull half the crap the manufacturer says they can pull, much less what I see being pulled. Most importantly, it won't satisfy the OP's requirements.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.