Tuning school

907DAVE

Reaction score
FWIW, these maps can be viewed in numerous ways. I posted them in 3D form as it might be easier to relate to. The examples I made would be easier to calculate when viewing the maps in strait numbers....but that's boring to look at.

Also, there is more to everything than what I posted. I want to keep things as simple as I can right now. However, these are the most commonly modified maps.

2000wa250

Reaction score
Gotcha. Man this stuff is really interesting. Almost makes me want to buy the software simply to play with them! Lol.

In all seriousness. Im having some issues with my injectors and fueling. If we pulled fuel back would that effect icp? Meaning the fuel map was pulled way down so it throws things off on the icp side of things? Or does it only work the other way?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
wouldn't it be some chit if this thread made 40 or 50 of us here start our tuning and by this time next year there will be so many broken trucks LOL

907DAVE

Reaction score
wouldn't it be some chit if this thread made 40 or 50 of us here start our tuning and by this time next year there will be so many broken trucks LOL

Not likely with the proper knowledge. If you know what you are doing, and why, you will be fine!

2000wa250

Reaction score
I still want to see safe zones. I would be scared of touching SOI, but i know it needs to be done. I really want to start looking into this and messing with it. Especially because it can be used on multiple other ford vehicles. Imagine being able to not only tune your superduty, but also your buddies mustang, or your own mustang...

Dave, do you use an emulator? or do you simply make tweaks, reburn, see how it works, tweak, reburn, etc..?

bad12jr

Reaction score
That's my only problem is having to constantly pull the chip for a tweak. If I was going to dive in I believe I'd look into the USB updatable chip to keep from pulling it constantly.

Sent from my x2 somewhere

907DAVE

Reaction score
Gotcha. If we pulled fuel back would that effect icp? Meaning the fuel map was pulled way down so it throws things off on the icp side of things? Or does it only work the other way?

Yes, ICP will go up.....sorta. More on this later, might even throw in a pop quiz...haha.

Last edited:

907DAVE

Reaction score
Dave, do you use an emulator? or do you simply make tweaks, reburn, see how it works, tweak, reburn, etc..?

Previously I would burn 6 files and go and try it out, then pick the file that worked best and move forward. Now I dont have a chip in the truck, the emulator lives in there.

2000wa250

Reaction score
Yes, ICP will go up. More on this later, might even throw in a pop quiz...haha.

Dave, so pulling fuel back, would lead to an increase in ICP? or would we need to manually pull ICP up via tuning? Right now with my current tuning I know we pulled fuel way back low in the RPM range with full fuel not coming in till about 2200. However even with dual pumps its taking me until around that same RPM to get ICP up to around 25-2800. I would think that if I go WOT ICP should come up before I get to 2500RPM...just trying to use my current issue to further my understanding of how the two of them are related.

Overall, this is all very very interesting. I would love to get into doing this stuff myself, but like others have said it is very worrysome to risk blowing up my engine as this is my daily.

DocBar

Reaction score
That's my only problem is having to constantly pull the chip for a tweak. If I was going to dive in I believe I'd look into the USB updatable chip to keep from pulling it constantly.

It takes me about 2 minutes to pull my chip. Have you cut a hole in the back of the plastic cover yet?

907DAVE

Reaction score
Lets start this off with a very common concern.... My truck is smokey at ____ RPM and____APP. To address this we need to understand the MFD map a little better. As stated earlier this map is APP vs RPM. APP ranges from 0-1023 AD counts. A real rough way to figure it is by guessing pedal position, 1/4 = 250 AD - 1/2= 500AD - 3/4=750 WOT=1023. Or you can put a volt meter on your APP sensor or view this data via scan tool to be exact. The sensor works in a 0-5 volt range so the same principal can be used there.

Now that we know the exact area the problem lies we can investigate it a little further. Lets just use the original scenario and instead the complaint is that its real smokey when he goes to pass that Honda.

Cruising down the highway with the converter locked in at 2000 RPM's, overtaking slower moving traffic you hammer down to 3/4 throttle (no downshift). APP jumps up to 750AD. Now the truck is blowing cornflake size coal from the tailpipe.

Can someone find the problem area using these charts?

What happens if we simply drop PW?

MFDs.jpg

ICPs.jpg

PWs.jpg

2000wa250

Reaction score
Dave,

just a guess/hunch here, but in your example the smoke is due to a combination of the longer PW actually dropping ICP so you are getting the fuel you desire, but it is not being atomized properly. This could be solved either by dialing the MFD back a hair, along with raising ICP, or simply by dialing back PW. However if you were to dial back PW wouldnt you have to adjust the entire table, which could simply move your issue somewhere else, as opposed to solving the problem?

Therefore I'll say my uneducated guess is that in order to solve this problem we would have to ramp up ICP in relation to MFD and make it look a bit more like it does earlier in the RPM range, while at the same time bring the PW a tad bit down. You could also bring MFD down a touch at 2000 RPM, still allowing you to have good response, but not flooding the cylinder all at once unless you go WOT

bad12jr

Reaction score
Mines an obs which is easy. I'm just thinking wear on the pcm contacts. Where can an emulator be found and what hardware is needed?

neverkickn

Reaction score
Dave,

just a guess/hunch here, but in your example the smoke is due to a combination of the longer PW actually dropping ICP so you are getting the fuel you desire, but it is not being atomized properly. This could be solved either by dialing the MFD back a hair, along with raising ICP, or simply by dialing back PW. However if you were to dial back PW wouldnt you have to adjust the entire table, which could simply move your issue somewhere else, as opposed to solving the problem?

Therefore I'll say my uneducated guess is that in order to solve this problem we would have to ramp up ICP in relation to MFD and make it look a bit more like it does earlier in the RPM range, while at the same time bring the PW a tad bit down. You could also bring MFD down a touch at 2000 RPM, still allowing you to have good response, but not flooding the cylinder all at once unless you go WOT

Im with this guy.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Why is the ICP dropping?

The problem with dropping the MFD is it will effect base SOI, and will require a bit of reworking if we were to change it.

Otherwise I like where you are going, but my questions are still unanswered. :)

907DAVE

Reaction score
Whoops. :D Thats the fun with Minotaur.

There are many online conversion calculators you can use.

Latest posts