Where did I go wrong?

The Brad

Reaction score
It wouldn't hurt to try another idm. I knew of one truck that had 400/400's, who couldn't ever get it to idle right, even after live tuning. Never threw any idm codes, but never idled right. the tuner told him it was just the way it is with larger injectors. Well he decided to try a new idm, and it fixed it right up. As cheap as they are, I'd at least try it.

I wouldn't expect 400/400's to idle all that well, but Ive never been near any other 7.3 that wasn't stock. Everybody I know has Duramax or Cummins.

DocBar

Reaction score
With the changes to the 100% nozzle tunes not helping very much we decided to try different nozzle size tunes. I ended up trying out 200% nozzle tunes then boom switched to those 200% nozzles tunes everything just idled so smooth idled better than stock (even with the DP) and all my problems were gone and gained (SOTP) more power. So what ever differences the 200's tunes had that the 100's tunes didn't have solved every problem.

I know you got different size injectors/nozzles and tuner but the problems are very similar (watched the videos). If all your things check out good compression wiring and pids fuel pressure IDM etc and nothing via hard parts changes anything I would chase after the tuning. Is the chip in the PCM tight?
After a nozzle blew off on my 400/200's, I ran the 250/100's with the 400/200 tunes from Matt and really liked how the truck ran.

CSIPSD

Reaction score

Blowby

Reaction score
Judging by the smoke, I'm gonna guess 150rwhp? That thing runs pretty clean.

I ran that same tune at an event held by Auto Trends, 438hp and still climbing at 3800 rpm.

photo36.jpg

The Brad

Reaction score
Docbar came out yesterday and helped me do a compression test. What do yall think of these numbers?

Raw numbers, engine cold
1 355
2 340
3 350
4 330
5 350
6 345
7 350
8 325

Here's the numbers corrected for density altitude. X/0.8881 (4000 ft)
1 399
2 383
3 394
4 371
5 394
6 388
7 394
8 365

Thanks for your help Dennis.

V-Ref

Reaction score
I've always had a question in the back of my head if a bum lifter or two could be culprit of 80%+ nozzle idle resolution issues....

If you jack with valvetrain timing, you effect static/dynamic compression ratios, dynamic cylinder pressure, air/fuel ratio, etc...

Usually when electronics fail...they flat out FAIL.

Mechanical failures...if partial in nature...would seem to be potentially more vulnerable to variations in temp/pressures....as clearances change...

My order of merit on stuff if it were my truck on what to do would be... (OML is based on both manhours/financial investment)

1. IDM
2. HPOP
3. injectors
4. lifters

Your oil temp on the rough idle vis wasn't up to temp like your smooth idle vid

There's lots of smart guys on here....interested in what the 7.3 50 lb brain guys suggest

Last edited:

The Brad

Reaction score
It'll rough idle no matter what the oil temp is. I'm curious, what makes you suspect the HPOP?

The lifters aren't going anywhere unless I do a full rebuild.

V-Ref

Reaction score
It'll rough idle no matter what the oil temp is. I'm curious, what makes you suspect the HPOP?

The lifters aren't going anywhere unless I do a full rebuild.
I don't know what to suspect with any certainty. Since the romp isn't oil temp correlated....hmmm.

It never did this as a stock inj truck?

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
i have this exact issue, except with my 238/80's. ALWAYS have had high egt's. Always 1000* plus when towing no matter what. Did bellowed uppipes, new boots, checked for leaks etc. Will huff gray smoke at idle no matter the temp with a raw fuel smell, sub par mileage. Always had the issue with FFD238/80, shouldve pulled them and sent them back when i first got them to check them out, but i just thought it was the nature of the beast. Recently did a compression test. 400-450 on all cylinders. 268,000 on the clock

Reaction score
i have this exact issue, except with my 238/80's. ALWAYS have had high egt's. Always 1000* plus when towing no matter what. Did bellowed uppipes, new boots, checked for leaks etc. Will huff gray smoke at idle no matter the temp with a raw fuel smell, sub par mileage. Always had the issue with FFD238/80, shouldve pulled them and sent them back when i first got them to check them out, but i just thought it was the nature of the beast. Recently did a compression test. 400-450 on all cylinders. 268,000 on the clock

My truck idles ALOT smoother now with the new injectors.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
idle isnt bad. the high egt's just piss me off. I have so much more throttle left. All i read is how people can tow this and that at 70 all at like 900*. Meanwhile i have to lock it outta overdrive at 65 at like 2400rpm to keep the egts manageable

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online