Where did I go wrong?

old man dave

Reaction score
I seem to recall it was a bad batch of Alliant o-rings. Of course, everyone wanted to sell good o-rings so a lot of people had o-ring problems after 10-15K miles.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I seem to recall it was a bad batch of Alliant o-rings. Of course, everyone wanted to sell good o-rings so a lot of people had o-ring problems after 10-15K miles.
after thinkijg about it, i might have gotten in on that too... bought some orings a few years back to re oring my inj cuz the ones in it only lasted maybe 20k.. those where from riffraff..

live life full throttle

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Mine definitely wasn't Alliant rings. They had no paint markings on the square top ring. All Alliant and Ford/International rings that I've seen do. It was my understanding that the non marked rings were Dipaco rings.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
You win a prize! Now for more questions. What would cause the upper 2 o rings to erode away in 12000 miles on 2 injectors? The o ring failures were lined up with the split in the metal top ring (see picture).

Also, why didn't this show up as a higher IPR duty cycle?

Get a hold of Tim, he made good on mine.

For more info, read my post:
http://www.powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55804

Replacing the o-rings is easy but time consuming.

You should ask yourself, where did the o-ring material go and how do I clean it out. After I did my o-ring replacement, I changed my oil. Approximately 3,000 miles later, I was towing my trailer back in Oct 2014. I lost all ICP pressure while driving. IPR would get up to 75% and trip the CEL. I kept driving; was on I-70 in the PA/WV/OH area. I barely made the Wheeling, WV bypass hill (I-270). When I got into OH, I regained ICP and motor has been running ever since. Never found the cause. Could a piece of broken o-ring have dislodged itself and plugged up the IPR???? possibly, I'll never know. All it takes is a microscopic piece. Remember the LPOP supplies unfiltered oil to the HPOP.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Just wary, if you get an oring pack and the square oring doesn't have paint markings on them, don't install them. These are the ones that have always failed on me. I've never had issues on the ones that do have the markings.

The Brad

Reaction score
Get a hold of Tim, he made good on mine.

For more info, read my post:
http://www.powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55804

Replacing the o-rings is easy but time consuming.

You should ask yourself, where did the o-ring material go and how do I clean it out. After I did my o-ring replacement, I changed my oil. Approximately 3,000 miles later, I was towing my trailer back in Oct 2014. I lost all ICP pressure while driving. IPR would get up to 75% and trip the CEL. I kept driving; was on I-70 in the PA/WV/OH area. I barely made the Wheeling, WV bypass hill (I-270). When I got into OH, I regained ICP and motor has been running ever since. Never found the cause. Could a piece of broken o-ring have dislodged itself and plugged up the IPR???? possibly, I'll never know. All it takes is a microscopic piece. Remember the LPOP supplies unfiltered oil to the HPOP.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Tim sent me a PM 2 hrs after my post and said new O-ring we're on their way. I had no idea that the HPOP gets unfiltered oil. If that's the case, it seems there'd be a market for some inline filters on the HPO hoses. Of course they'd have to withstand some high pressure.

97powerstroke

Reaction score
99+ trucks do have the o-ring with the screen in it for the hpop reservoir, so it does filter the oil some. If you get dieselsites reservoir spacer you can use the 99+ oring with the screen in it on the obs trucks.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Tim sent me a PM 2 hrs after my post and said new O-ring we're on their way. I had no idea that the HPOP gets unfiltered oil. If that's the case, it seems there'd be a market for some inline filters on the HPO hoses. Of course they'd have to withstand some high pressure.
right the *** on!! thats good customer service!! props tim!!

live life full throttle

vr6nutt

Reaction score
Hey Brad let me know how it runs when you get it sorted. I run up the same pass on I-15 - curious to see how it pulls. I am only using AC Codes on my current build (in progress).

The Brad

Reaction score
So I re-ringed my injectors, drove the air out of the HPO system and still have the same rough idle. Once again, no codes, CCT passes, buzz test passes. I have an appointment next Tuesday at Diesel Tech in San Jacinto. I'm done screwing around with this POS.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
So I re-ringed my injectors, drove the air out of the HPO system and still have the same rough idle. Once again, no codes, CCT passes, buzz test passes. I have an appointment next Tuesday at Diesel Tech in San Jacinto. I'm done screwing around with this POS.
how many miles and wot runs have you done to ensure air is out? what hpop do you have? im to lazy to go back and read... what is icp doing at idle? is it fluctuating up and down more than 50psi?

live life full throttle

The Brad

Reaction score
About 70 miles now, romping on it. It starts instantly, so I'm pretty sure the air is out. HPOP is stock, icp is 9-10% at 490. It'll swing 5 psi, occasionally 10 psi. WOT in dd tune shows 2800 at 36ish%.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
About 70 miles now, romping on it. It starts instantly, so I'm pretty sure the air is out. HPOP is stock, icp is 9-10% at 490. It'll swing 5 psi, occasionally 10 psi. WOT in dd tune shows 2800 at 36ish%.
those numbers look spot on.. brings us to a couple things.. have you pulled rockers and pushrods to see if anything is jacked up? its now a mechanical issue or a tuning issue... whats battery voltage doing while it romps?
What would that mean?

Billy T.
[email protected]

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.