Why the big push for single turbos over compounds?

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
Did you think mine was laggy? You could only imagine how much better a 6.4 would spool.
Compared to mine, absolutely. I mean it wasn't horrible but it's just not for me. I like being able to roll into mine in 5th with the torque converter locked and just pull down the highway. That ain't happening on a single

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
With my smaller 75 I was able to roll on it and build plenty of boost to pull down the highway. You make it sound like we are running single 88s lol

HS-MotorsportsZane

Reaction score
Compared to mine, absolutely. I mean it wasn't horrible but it's just not for me. I like being able to roll into mine in 5th with the torque converter locked and just pull down the highway. That ain't happening on a single

I beg to differ sir...........Happy Gilmore accomplished that feat no more than an hour ago..

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
Ok guys... I'm just saying, the singles may be able to do that but not without smoking a lot and not down low in the rpm like I am talking about. Not in my experience at least.

I'm sure that Custom H&S turbo will but that is back up there in cost again. IMO, it's really hard to beat drop in compounds on the price...

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
Jared's 66 6.0 and videos. I know you love the singles Mike and I was really close to getting one but you can't say they spool anywhere close to stock. I'm also not a fan of the riding around over 2200 rpm everywhere to keep the turbo spooled

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
Why do you think I'm driving around at 2200rpms lol the truck would spool very quick rolling into it. He'll half throttle I could get 40 psi out of it when not in od and in od the turbo would light as soon as it hit 10 psi. What the hell is so hard to believe lol

BlackPearl6.4

Reaction score
Randall. When you drive mine sometime, your gonna love it. No it's not instAnt light like stock chargers. But it will lite rolling into it on the interstate, and just cruising. As you saw in my video I have little smoke, and it pulls nice and hard all the way to the top. Coming from stock chargers it does take some getting used to. But I love it. The higher rpm's are ok with me. I'm actually getting better fuel mileage with the single then I EVER did with stock chargers. And the 1:1 drive pressure is awesome as well. All in all I love it. I know I'll never talk you into it. So in the meantime all I can do is boast about how much I love mine lol

johnp115

Reaction score
You will not take a single turbo 6.4 at 1800 Rpm's 60mph in 5th locked and pass someone on the highway with ease.

Like I said I don't drive around at 2200+ Rpm's and if I did and it was do able it'd be kinda obnoxious sound wise.

Reaction score
You will not take a single turbo 6.4 at 1800 Rpm's 60mph in 5th locked and pass someone on the highway with ease.

Like I said I don't drive around at 2200+ Rpm's and if I did and it was do able it'd be kinda obnoxious sound wise.

So, is that a fact? And how much money would you like to put on it? I've got a garret single that will make you eat your words...... Haha!

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I know we all keep generalizing "singles" as if they are all the same. I am sure everyones experiences will be different. There is a huge difference between a 64mm and 75mm... I am sure they will all react different.

I am sure some of the single guys have "forgotten" what it is like to run stock compounds. I only say that because I have been running around with a 71mm vgt (on a 6.0). It drives great once you "get used to it". Lights off super fast above 1800 rpms. If i ever get a weird shift and locked in OD at 1200rpms then I would make sure to unlock the tq converter before trying to pass anyone...

But i recently put on a 63.5mm turbo with the stock 13mm turbine... It spools CRAZY FAST. The first time I had a weird shift and ended up in OD with tq converter locked at 1200rpms. I decided to just plow through it and the tiny turbo spooled right up with almost ZERO smoke. 5psi at 1200rpms and 10-15psi by 1500rpms... That thing was a rocket with 285/75s. Well until you hit about 2500-2900 and the turbo runs out of air. I forgot what it was like to have a "quick spooling" turbo. LOL

That experience really made me miss the spool up of the smaller vgt while wishing for the all out power of the 71mm.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.