Why the big push for single turbos over compounds?

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
Here is my thought. I have driven many non-vgt trucks as well as ones with vgt's as well as some stock compounded 6.4's. In the days of the 7.3, 5.9B's, 6.5 and early duramax everyone longed for a broader power band. That lead to compounded turbo setups to accomplish this to avoid the pitfalls of too small or large of a non-vgt. That was until vgt's hit the scene. This increased the power band tremendously. Is it as good as compounds, no, but does it make things more enjoyable to drive, yes. I commend those with large singles and big compounds for getting to where they want to be. However, I think that there would also be a place for a larger, built vgt like the duramax uses. I think that would be a good compromise for a majority of the people out there, myself included.

Chris

johnp115

Reaction score
I do wish i tried different turbos prior to me ripping my kit off, i just don't have the time or money to do that. And i feel like others have had better results with the single than me, my experience with it was not that fun, so maybe my turbo was a little "off" or not 100%

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
I do wish i tried different turbos prior to me ripping my kit off, i just don't have the time or money to do that. And i feel like others have had better results with the single than me, my experience with it was not that fun, so maybe my turbo was a little "off" or not 100%
Yours was a cast charger so maybe that has more to do with it.

Then again, maybe you're just being more honest....

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Excellent point LOL

Do you think this has a turbo?

14983007901_1042c6a3f3_o_zps61c5110a.jpg

If i remember correctly it has 4 turbos. Twin 1350's right?

HOOV3R

Reaction score
My 6.4 is going the single route, mainly simplicity. Also, so I can throw an atmo in front of it and have non vgt compounds down the road.

travisH3

Reaction score
I really wanted to go the single route mainly for sound because the 6.4 is so quiet, and to get a quicker track time. but my truck is a work truck and i tow about 3k pounds daily with my truck and even though that isnt very much especially since my truck is already very light because it a reg cab long bed, i still cant have a laggy smokey truck pulling away from jobs. I was trying to see if matt at gearhead could tune it up real good to be clean but basically he told me no. also EGT's are alot higher cruising around. so for now, I spent the money and bought a new tractor lol(it cost a little more than what the turbo would have). my plan now is to do just a drop in atmo if I ever blow the head gaskets. if not I will just run it the way it is and see what goes.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.