Why the big push for single turbos over compounds?

madman1234509

Reaction score
because it's cheaper and easier to work on, how is that going to drive any worse than what you have? Only difference is that they don't have the 88 out front. And on top of that they can buy a turbo any where instead of being locked into sending their charger to one place and being at their mercy. Basically all the same reasons you have the turbos you have. Just less power. So get off you soap box for a little bit. So what if people like the sound, is that a new concept? Hell most people want high powers for the sound alone. Big deal, if it floats your boat then go for it.

http://youtu.be/1Hal2DrXnVc

I'm pretty sure I agreed that 2 big benefits are ease of maintenance, and the fact that obtaining parts or replacing is much easier then that of the big aftermarket vgt set ups. I'm not on a soap box, but many of the reasons people are throwing out there to say big singles are better are kind of foolish. Both set ups have their benefits. It just seems this platform is a** backwards. Everyone here is trying to put journal bearing turbos and big singles on their trucks while every other make and model is trying to put ball bearings and compounds on theirs.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I just had a customer we did a gt4094r single setup for run a 12.5 in an eclb 4x4 on stock fuel completely stock motor stock pushrod on fuel. Like 108 mph iirc. Should have some videos. Spools like large stock housing compounds. Using a 1600 stall with no plans of changing.

My point is that not all singles are a big pile to drive. There are lots of options and combinations. There are obvious downfalls and positives.

Wayne, if a guy only wants 650 hp and goes with a 366 like the one in your compound setup because it's cheaper and easier to work on, how is that going to drive any worse than what you have? Only difference is that they don't have the 88 out front. And on top of that they can buy a turbo any where instead of being locked into sending their charger to one place and being at their mercy. Basically all the same reasons you have the turbos you have. Just less power. So get off you soap box for a little bit. So what if people like the sound, is that a new concept? Hell most people want high powers for the sound alone. Big deal, if it floats your boat then go for it.

I think all of us are here for the same reason. We don't NEED any of these performance parts or mods. It what we want and what makes us happy. Everyone is different.

And because for $1850 your stock tuned and deleted 6.4 can run like this....

http://youtu.be/1Hal2DrXnVc

My only argument to that would be Jd running that same speed and time with a drop in 76 at 6000 feet.

But as you said to each is his own and I'm sure the customer is happy with that single so at the end of the day that's all that matters

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I agreed that 2 big benefits are ease of maintenance, and the fact that obtaining parts or replacing is much easier then that of the big aftermarket vgt set ups. I'm not on a soap box, but many of the reasons people are throwing out there to say big singles are better are kind of foolish. Both set ups have their benefits. It just seems this platform is a** backwards. Everyone here is trying to put journal bearing turbos and big singles on their trucks while every other make and model is trying to put ball bearings and compounds on theirs.

Fair enough. Just making sure.

My only argument to that would be Jd running that same speed and time with a drop in 76 at 6000 feet.

But as you said to each is his own and I'm sure the customer is happy with that single so at the end of the day that's all that matters

JD was not on stock fuel when he had a 76 iirc.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Sea level... 800's cruising.....900-1000 decent accel, 1000-1050 hills 1340max EGT

Yea idk what set up you had but seems you werent a fan from the jump. Cruising @ 2400ish egts are in the 600's, decent accel was around 700ish wot was around high 1200's rarely in 1300's. This is all with 4.88's which is not idea for any dd but w.e

buck russell

Reaction score
b1d.jpg

johnp115

Reaction score
Yea idk what set up you had but seems you werent a fan from the jump. Cruising @ 2400ish egts are in the 600's, decent accel was around 700ish wot was around high 1200's rarely in 1300's. This is all with 4.88's which is not idea for any dd but w.e

I had a cast 66, but yeah I wasn't a fan. The compounds just work with the way I drive too well. And id agree it would run cooler cruising egts when higher than 2100 Rpm's but I don't cruise at 2400

ChattyCathy

Reaction score

Good looking animal, have one just like it named Beverage (mule) really sure footed...don't need to worry about the beer ya know. Best part is when I need to tow Beverage up the mountain I don't need to swap turbos.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Good looking animal, have one just like it named Beverage (mule) really sure footed...don't need to worry about the beer ya know. Best part is when I need to tow Beverage up the mountain I don't need to swap turbos.

LoL, no mountains in S. TX for me to worry about homez.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.