Why the big push for single turbos over compounds?

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score
My truck is a total dog on the street with a single...it's still drivable but feels like stock until you build boost up top then it pulls pretty damn hard..then again I'm running a s472 on stock fuel, a 366 or 367 would be fun as hell on stock fuel I'd imagine.
Plus id rather work on this
e9y4ahus.jpg

Than this any day
ynabyhav.jpg

...excuse the rusty pipe going to the turbo I haven't got a chance to take it off and have it colour coat it yet :/

Last edited:

97f350stroker

Reaction score
I can't believe you guys are saying you'll buy a single set up for the sound....

Not for the sound alone but it definitely does sound better than the stock compounds. For me it would be because I am familiar with a single setup and would like the ease of swapping out different chargers to play with different setups. My knowledge and my wallet are too limited to do that with compounds.

madman1234509

Reaction score
And that's just it. It's cheap and simple. Ease of changing turbos isn't a good excuse because I can literally take my chargers off in 20 minutes, unless we are speaking about only vgt compounds.

buck russell

Reaction score
How about the sheer fact that a set of compounds should really be paired with new pistons. The 6.4 hates back pressure and there's far more risk of cracking a piston with a compound setup.

Honestly, I would love to have compounds, but I don't really have the budget to build the bottom end.

97f350stroker

Reaction score
And that's just it. It's cheap and simple. Ease of changing turbos isn't a good excuse because I can literally take my chargers off in 20 minutes, unless we are speaking about only vgt compounds.

What's so bad about cheap and simple as long as it is still effective? From what I understand a billet 366 set up spools pretty close to stock, has lower egts, and is easier on the bottom end. Not to mention the price tag being easy on the budget mined guys.

BlackPearl6.4

Reaction score
I feel like I should chime in. Lol I just switched to single turbo. billet S366 on my truck with stock fuel, And I must say I am in love. The 6.4 isn't a complete dog when it's not on boost. I can still drive the truck in town easily. But when the turbo lites that's where the fun begins. Yea the sound is amazing I won't argue. But the ease of maintainence and lower cylinder pressures was a big plus for me. Egt's will be a bit higher cruising around. But nothing to really cry about. If I could do it all again, I'd go single turbo without a doubt. And as previously stated I did it to be different as well. Not too often around where I love you see a single 6.4.

BlackPearl6.4

Reaction score
My truck is a total dog on the street with a single...it's still drivable but feels like stock until you build boost up top then it pulls pretty damn hard..then again I'm running a s472 on stock fuel, a 366 or 367 would be fun as hell on stock fuel I'd imagine.
Plus id rather work on this
e9y4ahus.jpg

Than this any day
ynabyhav.jpg

...excuse the rusty pipe going to the turbo I haven't got a chance to take it off and have it colour coat it yet :/

Sweet setup man! I hope to have my under hood lookin that good someday lol

Stroked777

Reaction score

Yeah yours are easy to because it isn't a stock set up

Edit. Replied to quick before I read the last part

And for me to go to a single isn't about sound. I want the performance from it. And the simplicity. And I don't think there is a single turbo 6.4 around my area. There are a lot of reasons for me to go to a single eventually. Sounds was the bottom of my list

Last edited:

Csilva187

Reaction score
Singles right now are kinda like fashion trends. Go look through the older performance pages, we are just repeating that single trend again. To each his own. Single makes ya happy or compounds make ya happy.

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
So I don't know about this big push you speak of. It's just another option to try something different. For those who like and enjoy it. It works for them. For those who don't? Stick with your compounds.

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
I like the sound. The power. The simplicity of working on it. and the ability to make a set of compounds with it down the road of I see fit

Reaction score
There's nothing like a s472 on stock fuel spooling and blasting the tires at 65 mph..

All in all drivability is a little harsh with a single but it is manageable. Sounds alright if you compare to stock turbos and its fun when you blow it up and can repair it within a day.

Also with my s472 stock fuel and gear head tunes I was able to keep around 7-8 psi of boost at 75-80 mph.. I would put cruise control and it would stay at 7-8 psi.. I read this off the stock gauge, the mini maxx and a separate gauge.

jdgleason

Reaction score
The sound argument you all keep mentioning is just weird.

I can't believe you guys are saying you'll buy a single set up for the sound....

I like how they sound idling and at part throttle, but to be honest I HATE how 6.0 and 6.4 fords sound with singles WOT... The popping, tinny sound kills me. But that's just me.

One thing to remember is that the atmosphere alone in that kit costs 5 grand.

madman1234509

Reaction score
First off, to say its a fact that a compound set up is the set up that really should have pistons or a bottom end is a little far fetched. Pistons cracking on these trucks is about the most random failure these trucks have. There is no rhyme or reason as to why these pistons crack, and is most likely a defect in the production process. There are plenty of compound set ups running around with stock motors. And if you think your stock pistons are any safer on a stock turbo set up, or on your single set up, then I'm not really sure what you have been reading. People are so quick to jump on the band wagon after they see issues on this site. You need to remember, people post on forums because they have issues, and its a great place to find information, and informative people who can help. There are way more trucks running around that don't have piston issues, then ones that do. Also, a lot of piston failures I've seen, also have signs of valve contact or injector failure.

Im not saying there is anything wrong with a single set up, but this is a thread where the OP is wondering why people on are the single turbo kick, and I'm just throwing my opinion out there. But who says it has to be a large compound set up. You can mate a 60 and 75 together and have a really responsive low budget compound set up that is relatively reliable on a stock engine.

What ever someone decides, it shouldn't be because of the sounds its makes, or because its "different". I can tell you that probably no one in a 300 mile radius has a 6.4 that can touch mine, or has a set up like mine, so its different.... But thats not why I did it. I did it because its a street truck, and I wanted big, clean power and awesome spool up. They should make the decision on what they want to do with the truck and their budget.

Austin, you pull and what not. If you put compounds like mine on your truck, you are going to be limited to basically the unlimited class in the pulls around here, which unless you have a dedicated pull truck with the driveline and suspension set up to pull, you probably wont be competitive in, regardless if you have big power, hence the reason why I don't even contemplate pulling with mine. So I understand where you are coming from.

Black Pearl. Im sure your set up is really clean and fun to drive, and I'm not sure what other trucks you've ridden in. But if you haven't ridden in a moderately sized compound truck, I'd urge you to.... You probably wont be saying that you'd do it the same way all over again.... :p because its amazing haha. On the other hand, if you have your single 66, you have a good base to add some fuel and stick a turbo in front of the 66, which I have to add, is a really nice benefit about these single turbo set ups, is the ability to expand off of it down the road.

Each set up has its advantages. I saved for 3 years to have what I have on my truck, and its still not where I want it. If these single kits were available back when I first bought my 08, who knows maybe I would've jumped on it since it was cheap and I wouldn't have had to wait so long to make good power. But after seeing videos of larger single set ups, and knowing how well mannered my truck is, and seeing Morgans truck with the 63mm making 10lbs just cruising, I wouldn't trade the drive-ability for a single, especially the size single I'd need to make the same power I am right now.

On Edit: Mike beat me to the being able to expand point, which is a pretty good one....

Last edited:

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
First off, to say its a fact that a compound set up is the set up that really should have pistons or a bottom end is a little far fetched. Pistons cracking on these trucks is about the most random failure these trucks have. There is no rhyme or reason as to why these pistons crack, and is most likely a defect in the production process. There are plenty of compound set ups running around with stock motors. And if you think your stock pistons are any safer on a stock turbo set up, or on your single set up, then I'm not really sure what you have been reading. People are so quick to jump on the band wagon after they see issues on this site. You need to remember, people post on forums because they have issues, and its a great place to find information, and informative people who can help. There are way more trucks running around that don't have piston issues, then ones that do. Also, a lot of piston failures I've seen, also have signs of valve contact or injector failure.

Im not saying there is anything wrong with a single set up, but this is a thread where the OP is wondering why people on are the single turbo kick, and I'm just throwing my opinion out there. But who says it has to be a large compound set up. You can mate a 60 and 75 together and have a really responsive low budget compound set up that is relatively reliable on a stock engine.

What ever someone decides, it shouldn't be because of the sounds its makes, or because its "different". I can tell you that probably no one in a 300 mile radius has a 6.4 that can touch mine, or has a set up like mine, so its different.... But thats not why I did it. I did it because its a street truck, and I wanted big, clean power and awesome spool up. They should make the decision on what they want to do with the truck and their budget.

Austin, you pull and what not. If you put compounds like mine on your truck, you are going to be limited to basically the unlimited class in the pulls around here, which unless you have a dedicated pull truck with the driveline and suspension set up to pull, you probably wont be competitive in, regardless if you have big power, hence the reason why I don't even contemplate pulling with mine. So I understand where you are coming from.

Black Pearl. Im sure your set up is really clean and fun to drive, and I'm not sure what other trucks you've ridden in. But if you haven't ridden in a moderately sized compound truck, I'd urge you to.... You probably wont be saying that you'd do it the same way all over again.... :p because its amazing haha. On the other hand, if you have your single 66, you have a good base to add some fuel and stick a turbo in front of the 66, which I have to add, is a really nice benefit about these single turbo set ups, is the ability to expand off of it down the road.

Each set up has its advantages. I saved for 3 years to have what I have on my truck, and its still not where I want it. If these single kits were available back when I first bought my 08, who knows maybe I would've jumped on it since it was cheap and I wouldn't have had to wait so long to make good power. But after seeing videos of larger single set ups, and knowing how well mannered my truck is, and seeing Morgans truck with the 63mm making 10lbs just cruising, I wouldn't trade the drive-ability for a single, especially the size single I'd need to make the same power I am right now.

On Edit: Mike beat me to the being able to expand point, which is a pretty good one....

I would rather own a stock charger than drive a lag shaft that spools late, **** is absolutely worthless IMO.

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
Btw the big singles have made a little over 900 not at full boost to a 66 88 trucks 980 at full boost same dyno

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.