Why the big push for single turbos over compounds?

Radioflyer

Reaction score
It seems like every other brand of diesel truck owners ultimate goal is to have compounds, and we are stuck in the stone age.
THIS^ Think about a duramax, stock/s475...tried and true compound setup.

This is my goal for my truck to have a setup something similar that someone could take their stockers off, throw a set of compunds, have a significant difference accross the board in driving and performance and then have room to grow. Now i'm not trying to start a fight or take sides, it's just facts. They work. We sell a TON of these kits. The fact is not one setup is going to be best for someone else...I wanted a single....I was referred to the S371...seen erik from ptp have good luck with it, so i thought ahh what the hell lets give it a shot...turned out to be not a good option with my truck at elevation. 66...better option but not ultimatly what i'm looking for....but a enough difference in driveability for someone here with a street truck i'd recc it for a cheap fun setup...the next charger may be it and I don't touch the truck (yeah right), but only time will tell.

Last edited:

RSK

Reaction score
koolaidman.jpg

madman1234509

Reaction score
I'm betting a 60/75 non vgt setup would be awesome for people on stock fuel. It would use up all of what the stock fuel system can give it, and still be wicked cool, able to tow... On stock fuel you probably wouldn't even need a waste gate... Then, it also gives you room to expand to slightly larger nozzles with a gate.

On Edit: ... What ever happened to the people making a turbo in front of the stock chargers? The talk of it and interest disappeared.

johnp115

Reaction score
I guess its all in preference.

When i had a single, it was OK at best imo. I couldn't even break the tires loose on a 10 roll. The truck felt dead to me under 2300

It does pull hard, BUT after it lights so maybe it just feels more drastic because it goes from nothing to a bat out of hell, Whereas the compounds would already be gone.

The single did keep pulling in the RPMs, but i don't take my truck 3000+ RPMS everyday, so i went back to compounds.

Im interested to see how the single gtx's do. But from that experience on I've had 0 interest in a cast borg 66

Thats my experience.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Tons of great reply's. I appreciate all the responses.

Like everyone said... to each their own. Sounds like if you don't mind the loss in drive ability down low and want simplicity then a single is the way to go... On the other hand if you want the best drive-ability and power down low then you need to put up with the complicated stock setup and the hair dryer noise.

So I don't know about this big push you speak of. It's just another option to try something different. For those who like and enjoy it. It works for them. For those who don't? Stick with your compounds.

I cant tell if you are being sarcastic... but for someone who only jumps on the 6.4 forum everyone once in a while, and usually likes reading turbo threads... There is a pretty big push for singles. If you don't believe me then look at the first sticky on the page... it is usually the non-vgt turbo video thread. And most of the turbo threads I see pop up are full of people talking about single setups.

Last edited:

Radioflyer

Reaction score

When i had a single, it was OK at best imo. I couldn't even break the tires loose on a 10 roll. The truck felt dead to me under 2300

It does pull hard, BUT after it lights so maybe it just feels more drastic because it goes from nothing to a bat out of hell, Whereas the compounds would already be gone.

The single did keep pulling in the RPMs, but i don't take my truck 3000+ RPMS everyday, so i went back to compounds.

Im interested to see how the single gtx's do. But from that experience on I've had 0 interest in a cast borg 66

Thats my experience.

I'll be sure to let ya know. :thumbsup:

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Tons of great reply's. I appreciate all the responses.

Like everyone said... to each their own. Sounds like if you don't mind the loss in drive ability down low and want simplicity then a single is the way to go... On the other hand if you want the best drive-ability and power down low then you need to put up with the complicated stock setup and the hair dryer noise.

I cant tell if you are being sarcastic... but for someone who only jumps on the 6.4 forum everyone once in a while, and usually like reading turbo threads... There is a pretty big push for singles. If you don't believe me then look at the first sticky on the page... it is usually the non-vgt turbo video thread. And most of the turbo thread I see pop up are full of people talking about single setups.
If you could figure out a way for one of your VGT chargers from a 6.0 and have the 6.4 controller work the vains, I'd be really interested in doing a compound set based off of that....personally, I love the way lbz drives with the stocker/s475....just fun as hell to drive and tow's amazing. Just food for thought.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Definitely looking forward to the results!!

One thing is... I do not think it is right to claim that a 66 spools like stock, and I'm sure others could agree that it doesn't.

On a stock converter no i agree. Bigger converter and a 2k stall helped it on mine. At least where I'm at. Can't speak for someone who's down at sea level.

RSK

Reaction score

Thats my experience.

that would be it! I used to take my cummins up to and over 4000rpm all the time and pass someone on the highway without smoking the highway out, i'd have to unlock my converter and hit the overdrive button so it would drop down to 3rd gear and rpms would be up around 2500, then i could aggressively pass someone and lock the converter and hit it back in od doing a locked shift...which was pretty damn firm, good thing i had billet shafts and suncoast triple disk.

BlackPearl6.4

Reaction score
First off, to say its a fact that a compound set up is the set up that really should have pistons or a bottom end is a little far fetched. Pistons cracking on these trucks is about the most random failure these trucks have. There is no rhyme or reason as to why these pistons crack, and is most likely a defect in the production process. There are plenty of compound set ups running around with stock motors. And if you think your stock pistons are any safer on a stock turbo set up, or on your single set up, then I'm not really sure what you have been reading. People are so quick to jump on the band wagon after they see issues on this site. You need to remember, people post on forums because they have issues, and its a great place to find information, and informative people who can help. There are way more trucks running around that don't have piston issues, then ones that do. Also, a lot of piston failures I've seen, also have signs of valve contact or injector failure.

Im not saying there is anything wrong with a single set up, but this is a thread where the OP is wondering why people on are the single turbo kick, and I'm just throwing my opinion out there. But who says it has to be a large compound set up. You can mate a 60 and 75 together and have a really responsive low budget compound set up that is relatively reliable on a stock engine.

What ever someone decides, it shouldn't be because of the sounds its makes, or because its "different". I can tell you that probably no one in a 300 mile radius has a 6.4 that can touch mine, or has a set up like mine, so its different.... But thats not why I did it. I did it because its a street truck, and I wanted big, clean power and awesome spool up. They should make the decision on what they want to do with the truck and their budget.

Austin, you pull and what not. If you put compounds like mine on your truck, you are going to be limited to basically the unlimited class in the pulls around here, which unless you have a dedicated pull truck with the driveline and suspension set up to pull, you probably wont be competitive in, regardless if you have big power, hence the reason why I don't even contemplate pulling with mine. So I understand where you are coming from.

Black Pearl. Im sure your set up is really clean and fun to drive, and I'm not sure what other trucks you've ridden in. But if you haven't ridden in a moderately sized compound truck, I'd urge you to.... You probably wont be saying that you'd do it the same way all over again.... :p because its amazing haha. On the other hand, if you have your single 66, you have a good base to add some fuel and stick a turbo in front of the 66, which I have to add, is a really nice benefit about these single turbo set ups, is the ability to expand off of it down the road.

Each set up has its advantages. I saved for 3 years to have what I have on my truck, and its still not where I want it. If these single kits were available back when I first bought my 08, who knows maybe I would've jumped on it since it was cheap and I wouldn't have had to wait so long to make good power. But after seeing videos of larger single set ups, and knowing how well mannered my truck is, and seeing Morgans truck with the 63mm making 10lbs just cruising, I wouldn't trade the drive-ability for a single, especially the size single I'd need to make the same power I am right now.

On Edit: Mike beat me to the being able to expand point, which is a pretty good one....

well for my budget and what i wanted out of my truck, i like my setup and im happy i went with it. honestly ive never ridden in a big power diesel truck like yours. mine is probably the fastest ive been in. im not saying a decent set of compounds isnt better, or worse. and i DO plan to add later down the road when i can afford to do fuel upgrades and buy another charger etc etc....but thats in the distant future. i might get a bigger charger and see what i can do with stock fuel, play around a little. which is another benefit that i like about the single setup, because i cant ever seem to make up my mind i can switch it up whenever i see fit. again, not saying one is better then the other. i just perfer single turbos. sorry about the derailment to the OP, lol just wanted to give my .2 cents on the whole deal.

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score
The big push lately for singles is most likely that they were hard to get single kits a few months ago then they all came out again all at once, midwest diesel, h&s and mpd. I can't say for sure but I'd imagine they make more profit off single turbo kits because they're more pocket book friendly then a $6-10k set of compounds, more people can afford a $3000 single kit so they're selling better

Latest posts

Members online