Why the big push for single turbos over compounds?

madman1234509

Reaction score
And that was my point. A single 75 might make around the same fuel only numbers as a 62/88 or a 66/88. I personally, already having a decent compound set up, wouldn't gain anything by going to a single charger. If anything all I'm doing is losing drive ability. And I'm willing to bet, if I traded in my cheapy journal bearing chargers for a nicer ball bearing set up like what Morgan just put on a truck, I could probably squeeze some more power out of the truck due to the turbos efficiency. We, as a platform haven't even began to get into custom ball bearing set ups yet.

Also, I can almost guarantee truck for truck a 75 vs a 66/88, or even a better spooling 63/88 the power curve has a higher average horse power because there is way less lag.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I've been running mine as a single for over three years now, I personally like it better. Yeah it does sound a ton better but thats no reason to do it IMHO, at sea level I cant tell the difference in driveability. Now once you hook a trailer up to it then you'll notice the difference, its no tow pig with a single. It is however flat out faster, and for someone like me who lives at low altitude and doesn't tow except for 5-6 times a year its not a bad choice.

The pluses are its a lot easier to work on, cooler cruising EGT's, less stress on the motor, lower back pressure. Turbo swaps only take minutes and can be done cab on. If you want to do compounds it can be piggy backed off of the single. Also the turbo options are much more plentiful with a single, and cost for replacement or rebuilds is far cheaper as well. If you get a S300 or S400 and don't like it, its easy and cost efficient to swap to a different size and see if you like it better. Resale is easy for the turbo its self due to the universal applications.

Just some of my perspective on it.

Last edited:

madman1234509

Reaction score
put a cherry bomb on it :p
^^ to the gasser comment...

Seabee what size single do you have, and fuel mods? Im assuming a 66-72 with stock or small fuel mods considering you are towing at all? I have a solid 900hp truck on any given day, and with the gates cranked shut and running the "tow" or "street" position on the minimaxx, would have no issue towing some pretty decent size loads. Some of your points are valid, again, comparing singles to stock location compounds or drop ins. Otherwise, normally compounds net you cooler egts then singles, with the same fueling. I guess you can argue less stress on the motor, down low, getting on it hard, because of the better spool up characteristics of a compound set up and the ability to create more power/torque/cylinder pressure down low. As far as back pressure, I actually have more boost then back pressure until about 25psi, then am 1:1 until 40psi. And again, the changing turbos thing without a doubt sucks on stock location chargers, especially if you aren't removing the cab, but if you have a custom compound set up, like mine, or one thats been added onto a single set up like yours, its not hard at all. The only thing that takes longer is the fact that there area few most things to loosen with the extra turbo, but none of it is hard to get to like the factory compounds.

Last edited:

madman1234509

Reaction score
1200+ at the motor.... on fuel.... What have you guys run fuel only, consistently with that truck Mike, high 10s at its best? You don't think a properly set up compound set up would do it? Im not here trying to call anyone out. And there is no reason to get so defensive over singles vs compounds. I'm just pointing out obvious facts. Truck for truck, a decently size compounded truck will make a higher average hp vs a large single, it only makes sense. Do you honestly think for a second from a roll on the street you'd take off faster or beat a truck with a 66/88 set up? Since that is close to mimicking a dyno run?

It seems like every other brand of diesel truck owners ultimate goal is to have compounds, and we are stuck in the stone age.

madman1234509

Reaction score
BTW 1200hp at the motor, with 20% drivetrain loss is 960hp at the wheels.... And thats being conservative at 20% considering its an auto, with 4wd....

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
I was off a little lol wrong calculator looks to be around 1030 ish. I'm saying at the track it would be a good run truck for truck. Sure on the street it's definitely different.

RSK

Reaction score
before the 6.4 all the trucks were singles... so essentially going back to a single is going backwards to a small degree, and twins are great way to quiet a truck, both can perform well in whatever area desirable, but with twins it's easier to still tow heavy and make bigger power and be clean. towing heavy with a big single and big fuel isn't gonna be clean, and might not even be possible depending on how big the fuel setup is, how well its tuned and how big the turbo is. big singles with some lag and big fuel, hit harder, and might feel faster, but twins generally come in quicker and pull hard up top too. Each have there place. twins do complicate things more, but in the case of the 6.4 it's already there... but the simplicity of a single is nice too, and for those who like it, it is much louder and does smoke more.... but personally coming from cummins turbo diesels where i wanted a set of twins, and ran a big single with big fuel, even though it spooled pretty well, twin would have been the way to go but the big single was oh so cheap and so was the big fuel to spin it. And now having a nice quiet 6.4 with twins and having quick spool up with almost 600whp with a 100 dollar tune and only 200 dollar delete pipe and 800 dollar tuner...I can really appreciate that, and would no way, shape or form want to go backwards and have a smokey, laggy truck. I want my cake, and want to eat it too....maybe it's because i'm getting older or i actually use my truck like a truck and don't need to wake up the neighbors when i come home at later at night or leaving in the morning towing a trailer. I do agree they sound nice with the singles, but too loud for me, I was already there and already went through that stage. clean power is where its at...

Last edited:

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
I want to see how a truck like yours does against a truck like mine. And craig s truck ran 10.8s for a while fuel only. It's not been as fast with the 66 88 setup

madman1234509

Reaction score
I hear ya, but like I said, I'm not here to call you or anyone out. Both set ups have good advantages and disadvantages, and then stock location compounds are even worse lol. Ive never even been to a track with a truck so I have no room to talk as far as drag racing on a track goes.

madman1234509

Reaction score
And twins definitely do complicate things. I spent hours doing math and trying to figure out proper pressure ratios and where each turbo should be running as far as boost. What I figured is my atmo should be doing even less then half the work of the high pressure. And that currently my total boost is like 60-65, and to really be in its efficiency range for the size I have turbos I should be pushing closer to 85ish, with 50ish coming out of the hp. I need major gate tuning to get the max performance out of what I have. What its going to come down to is me buying a boost controller instead of using the regular regulators, because they dont work worth a crap.

As far as coming down in Sept Mike, I'd love to make it to another event this year, but I have to limit myself to TS and the Truck Jam this year.

Last edited:

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
I want to see how a truck like yours does against a truck like mine. And craig s truck ran 10.8s for a while fuel only. It's not been as fast with the 66 88 setup

He would stg quicker and time you out lol. that's a joke you don't need to get all Maryland mafia on me

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
He would stg quicker and time you out lol. that's a joke you don't need to get all Maryland mafia on me
72e36db43aa814330e1f4b4cad2c87e7.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.