Why the big push for single turbos over compounds?

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
that's one thing I have to say about the stock compound 71/59 or 73/75. I swear it spools faster than stock did by going to this billet 59. and pulls way harder I love it. I know it doesn't apply to singles. but still :pimp:

Eric@HoldersDiesel

swinky

Reaction score
You will not take a single turbo 6.4 at 1800 Rpm's 60mph in 5th locked and pass someone on the highway with ease.

Like I said I don't drive around at 2200+ Rpm's and if I did and it was do able it'd be kinda obnoxious sound wise.
I can do that in my little 6.0

78f100

Reaction score
Who has compared a single 75 to max powers? My mp's lag way worse than a 71/59 would so I had to relearn how to drive it without smoke when I swapped from my 71/stock vgt. I really don't think a proper sized 75 with good tuning and correct torque converter will be too bad. Mp's run a little high on egts in certain places also. They are great turbos but still don't spool like stock, never have for me anyway with 110's and my rcd converter. But my tc is tighter than my suncoast hd was, they spooled better with it still not like stock.

madman1234509

Reaction score
That may be your issue. With that size vgt I would bet you need to run a stock stall (1800) or even a 2000rpm stall. I know typically the rcd is 1600 unless otherwise specified. I love my rcd with stock turbos..... wouldn't want it for something that size I don't think, at least not unless it was restalled.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Just a haze. 2100 stall did amazing things.

Stall speed means absolutely nothing when passing someone in 5th with the converter LOCKED... justsaying. I KNOW that my truck with a 75 can not pass someone from 1800rpm cruising without either downshifting, a lot of smoke, or sometimes both depending on how quick I need to get by them. I know it is comparing 6.0 to 6.4 but still similar idea...

Oh, and I have a 1900 stall and it spools great converter unlocked from stoplight to stoplight. Can be driven with just a slight haze no problem.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Who has compared a single 75 to max powers? My mp's lag way worse than a 71/59 would so I had to relearn how to drive it without smoke when I swapped from my 71/stock vgt. I really don't think a proper sized 75 with good tuning and correct torque converter will be too bad. Mp's run a little high on egts in certain places also. They are great turbos but still don't spool like stock, never have for me anyway with 110's and my rcd converter. But my tc is tighter than my suncoast hd was, they spooled better with it still not like stock.

I have experienced both, but that was up here... So dd'ing a truck with a single geared toward making power sucks ass regardless lol.

But Tony I will say that my turbos (max power x's) spool side by side with Justin's 6.4 here - with a drop in 71 and gearhead tunes. On the interstate from a 60 roll, coasting to floored, my truck spooled side by side with his and started pulling....

I have a stock converter fwiw.

swinky

Reaction score
Stall speed means absolutely nothing when passing someone in 5th with the converter LOCKED... justsaying. I KNOW that my truck with a 75 can not pass someone from 1800rpm cruising without either downshifting, a lot of smoke, or sometimes both depending on how quick I need to get by them. I know it is comparing 6.0 to 6.4 but still similar idea...

Oh, and I have a 1900 stall and it spools great converter unlocked from stoplight to stoplight. Can be driven with just a slight haze no problem.
You're right I'm an idiot. It got new tunes at the same time so maybe that was it. A 75 on a 6.0 though.....

78f100

Reaction score
That may be your issue. With that size vgt I would bet you need to run a stock stall (1800) or even a 2000rpm stall. I know typically the rcd is 1600 unless otherwise specified. I love my rcd with stock turbos..... wouldn't want it for something that size I don't think, at least not unless it was restalled.

I have experienced both, but that was up here... So dd'ing a truck with a single geared toward making power sucks ass regardless lol.

But Tony I will say that my turbos (max power x's) spool side by side with Justin's 6.4 here - with a drop in 71 and gearhead tunes. On the interstate from a 60 roll, coasting to floored, my truck spooled side by side with his and started pulling....

I have a stock converter fwiw.
I didn't mean they are hard to spool just not as fast as my old ones but definitely not slow. 60 to 65 I will break the tires loose a little but dead stop with the converter I have now they are a good bit slower. Below 60 or so it has some lag

Last edited:

justinthomas828

Reaction score
Becuz they r high...I dnt get why guys take their STOCK chargers off and spend 2-3k to put a 366 on and then r pissed wen it makes less hp and doesn't light til after 2 grand... this is my first pstroke. .have had 2 cummins trucks in the past 6 yrs..these compounds r tits idc wat anybody says...and for a little over a grand I'm throwin on a 72 atoms that's a direct drop in and it'll be a solid 650-700 on STOCK fuel...for a DD/cummins /duracrap killer on the street wat more culd a fella want...unless dedicated pullin 2.5 or 2.6..I wuldnt go single for nothin...heck the 75/59 combo is drop in and good for 8-900 with dual fuelers n nozzles...jus sayin

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
Becuz they r high...I dnt get why guys take their STOCK chargers off and spend 2-3k to put a 366 on and then r pissed wen it makes less hp and doesn't light til after 2 grand... this is my first pstroke. .have had 2 cummins trucks in the past 6 yrs..these compounds r tits idc wat anybody says...and for a little over a grand I'm throwin on a 72 atoms that's a direct drop in and it'll be a solid 650-700 on STOCK fuel...for a DD/cummins /duracrap killer on the street wat more culd a fella want...unless dedicated pullin 2.5 or 2.6..I wuldnt go single for nothin...heck the 75/59 combo is drop in and good for 8-900 with dual fuelers n nozzles...jus sayin
a9518579dd58c0ab93fdbd9643fff316.jpg

buck russell

Reaction score

tumblr_lvhuqruxUd1r1vzzeo5_r1_500.jpg

Stroked777

Reaction score
Actually on stock turbos and stock fuel you will get about 550 if your lucky. With a single swap to a billet 66 you will be at around 650 in stock fuel. If you add fuel to that 66 you can be around 700. And plus you have safer back pressure numbers and it's better on the engine imo
So that's not aloss in power

Last edited:

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score

Dafaq did I just read?

I can only hope you're still in Jr High, and even then that's still a bit embarrassing. That's the worse grouping of jumbled up letters in the attempt to make a statement that I've ever read I here.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
Dafaq did I just read?

I can only hope you're still in Jr High, and even then that's still a bit embarrassing. That's the worst grouping of jumbled up letters in the attempt to make a statement that I've ever read I here.

there, fixed it for you.

lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.