how many

Dzchey21

Reaction score
LOL sorry dudes got ahead of myself

Im gunna order harnesses tonight, and try and order map sensors tomorrow

White_monster

Reaction score
Hey Dustin what does your map sensor read to? My map sensor reads to 37psi and my mgp sensor reads to over 60psi. Just making sure I'm on the same page about which sensor your using.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I think you are right Shane, Wayne was worried about mine and said it pegged low. Lower than he wanted to see, I told him it was the DD more than likely.

White_monster

Reaction score
Ya. Map stands for manifold absolute pressure and that means it includes atmospheric pressure in the reading just like the exhaust pressure sensor. Mgp stands for manifold gauge pressure and thatsnjust your boost pressure. That's why I think Dustin should use the mgp sensor and not the map sensor as the map sensor pins out at 37psi absolute.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Ya. Map stands for manifold absolute pressure and that means it includes atmospheric pressure in the reading just like the exhaust pressure sensor. Mgp stands for manifold gauge pressure and thatsnjust your boost pressure. That's why I think Dustin should use the mgp sensor and not the map sensor as the map sensor pins out at 37psi absolute.

I ordered a map sensor and i can read 92psi absolute pressure... so i dunno, i was under the impression they used the same sensor for both readings. the computer just calculates atmospheric pressure to achieve the correct "gauge" reading

There are only two sensors in the intake, one is a temp sensor the other is pressure

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Ya. Maybe the computer just reads to 37psi absolute on it's own. I think your right Dustin.

If you can find something otherwise please let me know i want this set up to be legit, but from what i have gathered and researched there is only one map sensor and it does everything

the kicker is the according the the electrical diagram for the MAP sensor the factory sensor is supposed to only read 36 psi @ 4.75 volts, but according to the testing i did on the sensor i had it will read 92.x psi @ 4.75 volts so maybe there is another sensor in the system? i dont know the 36psi makes no sense in my opinion because the stock trucks will make 32psi of boost... so thats where im a little lost

What im going to do tomorrow is pull what i think is the factory map sensor, put regulated compressed air to it with the key on and see what pressure it will read on the dashdaq and watch and make sure its pretty accurate with the gauge on my regulator, i want to see where it maxes out on the factory ford computer, maybe it will read 77 psi of boost and we dont need two map sensors...

White_monster

Reaction score
Okay Dustin. Is it possible the tuning is fooling the computer into thinking it's making less boost than it really is. I wish my truck wasn't at my parents place I'd do some checks too. As far as a second sensor goes I have yet to find one in all my travels so I think your onto something.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Okay Dustin. Is it possible the tuning is fooling the computer into thinking it's making less boost than it really is. I wish my truck wasn't at my parents place I'd do some checks too. As far as a second sensor goes I have yet to find one in all my travels so I think your onto something.

doug and i talked about it on the phone, and he says yes, but my contridiction to that is if the sensor mechanically maxes out at 36psi (and im not sure if thats absolute or not) then no matter what you do, anything over 36psi wont have a linear reading anymore, the sensor is maxed therefore the reading is maxed.

I am pretty sure that cant be right because jeff dodd had mechanical guages way back in the day and said they always matched what the dash daq was reading, i cant physically confirm this because i have always just relied on the dash daq for readings, so like i said, ill put regulated air to the sensor tomorrow and see what it reads, but i have a feeling it will read up to 50 psi and then max out, for whatever reason i seam to remember that the computer limits what the sensor reading put out at 62 or 64 absolute pressure. so there might be more in the sensor, but the computer wont allow it, i need IDS so i can read voltage and see if the sensor maxes out the psi reading but its at say 3.75 volts or something

White_monster

Reaction score
Ya I remember discussing this same thing with Doug a couple weeks ago. I wonder if we can change the map sensor to one that reads higher. I'd have to ask Doug about that again. Hmmmm

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I think that is what is happening. For stock applications the computer probably doesn't need to read any higher and the manufacturer just puts a limit on it.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Ya I remember discussing this same thing with Doug a couple weeks ago. I wonder if we can change the map sensor to one that reads higher. I'd have to ask Doug about that again. Hmmmm

If the computer truely sets the limit there has to be a table in the tuning that changes it, no doubt in my mind about that.

I guess we will see what tomorrow brings, ill test the sensor before i order any, might be hard to fine 10 map sensors LOL

You know what i also noticed is that the factory EBP sensor reads something like 82 psi of back pressure, the sensor is different, it uses a tapered fitting rather than o-ring boss, but im wondering if its basically the same sensor, just with different fittings on the end, which would make perfect sense to what we are seeing, plus ford could limit the total boost or whatever to 50 psi because they figure a stock truck will never go that high but it gives them a little room for change with different software ect.

White_monster

Reaction score
Lol. I know I have a 100psi map sensor for my boost controller but they are pricey. See what your findings are thou. We can go from there. Talk is cheap but hard results are the best.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
ok, so according to the electrical pdf that i have, the EBP sensor reads 0psi @0 volts, and then reads 90psi@5 volts, so im thinking that the sensors are identical other than the fitting on the end. Just dont make sense on the MAP side...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.