Project: Reliability - Its 6.0 Delete Time

Matt_P

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Matt. I will remember that when I rebuild mine.

Yeah it was definitely a bummer, after digging around a little we found that others have had this same issue as well with clevite bearings on these engines.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I was super dissapointed in the fitment of the Clevite bearings. I've had great luck with them for other applications, but the thrust bearing fit like crap and wouldn't sit down on the main like it should have - the oiling holes feeding the mains lined up like crap (although the holes are big enough that it probably would have been OK, I never even made it to look and see how well the oil holes leaving the mains lined up. Apparently the oil squirter feed holes are suppose to be offset from the hole to reduce flow.... didn't make sense to me but that's what I was told.

I looks WAY better in black too.... that valve cover is going to be sweet as well.

Matt_P

Reaction score
its looking good. cant wait to see it done.

Thanks!

Sucks about the bearings, the block looks better black IMO :thumbsup:

Yeah it was definitely a bummer but yeah I think it looks much better too:D

I was super dissapointed in the fitment of the Clevite bearings. I've had great luck with them for other applications, but the thrust bearing fit like crap and wouldn't sit down on the main like it should have - the oiling holes feeding the mains lined up like crap (although the holes are big enough that it probably would have been OK, I never even made it to look and see how well the oil holes leaving the mains lined up. Apparently the oil squirter feed holes are suppose to be offset from the hole to reduce flow.... didn't make sense to me but that's what I was told.

I looks WAY better in black too.... that valve cover is going to be sweet as well.

Yeah I hope we have much better luck with cummins bearings.

And the valve cover is pretty much done now too:D

juniort444e

Reaction score
Atta boy RayRay. How is he doing by the way. He dont like me no more for some reason. lol

So with that and what ever injectors your going with, this thing will still get up and go correct?

Matt_P

Reaction score
Atta boy RayRay. How is he doing by the way. He dont like me no more for some reason. lol

So with that and what ever injectors your going with, this thing will still get up and go correct?

haha he is doin good, we just took a nice road trip to dayton today to unload my PMF bars.

Im planning to go with something around a 150 horse injector so a 5x14 or something along those lines. It should be good for mid 500s or close to 6. I sure hope itll be able to get out of its own way LOL

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
haha he is doin good, we just took a nice road trip to dayton today to unload my PMF bars.

Im planning to go with something around a 150 horse injector so a 5x14 or something along those lines. It should be good for mid 500s or close to 6. I sure hope itll be able to get out of its own way LOL

Sounds like it will be a little above the area the last fummins was at eh?

Matt_P

Reaction score
Making good progress. Keep it up

Thanks Jacob! Tomorrow I should have my new main and rod bearings from cummins so the plan is to get the bottom end assembled then.

Sounds like it will be a little above the area the last fummins was at eh?

Thats what Im hoping for! Down the line Id like to do a 6.7 VGT with an S480 but for now the 66 will do. Im hoping to make this truck run a whole lot stronger than my old fummins did!

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Thats what Im hoping for! Down the line Id like to do a 6.7 VGT with an S480 but for now the 66 will do. Im hoping to make this truck run a whole lot stronger than my old fummins did!

Should run better, since your putting it together all the little bugs will be easier to work out. So far it looks to have a better list of go fast parts to!

Matt_P

Reaction score
Should run better, since your putting it together all the little bugs will be easier to work out. So far it looks to have a better list of go fast parts to!

Yeah Im hoping it will run a lot better, it will have a brand new engine and tranny in it! Im trying to get it set up pretty good right now, it wont be perfect just cause of money but I think it should definitely run stronger than the last one.

The basic list I have so far is:

Full built 47re with SFI flywheel except it will still have stock intermediate and output shafts
110# valve springs
ARP 425 studs
New valve guides, seals and hardened valve seats
.020 pistons with rebuilt bottom end
II silver bullet 66
ATI damper
5x14 injectors or something along those lines
P-pump swap w/ 191 dvs, 4k springs and 100 fuel plate, timing set around 21
Airdog 150 with BDP sump

I thinks thats all

Hahaha awesome. Hood stacking it. jkn.

haha no hood stacks for this whip!

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Yeah Im hoping it will run a lot better, it will have a brand new engine and tranny in it! Im trying to get it set up pretty good right now, it wont be perfect just cause of money but I think it should definitely run stronger than the last one.

The basic list I have so far is:

Full built 47re with SFI flywheel except it will still have stock intermediate and output shafts
110# valve springs
ARP 425 studs
New valve guides, seals and hardened valve seats
.020 pistons with rebuilt bottom end
II silver bullet 66
ATI damper
5x14 injectors or something along those lines
P-pump swap w/ 191 dvs, 4k springs and 100 fuel plate, timing set around 21
Airdog 150 with BDP sump

I thinks thats all

haha no hood stacks for this whip!

No billet keepers and retainers to go with the valve springs?

I'd like to hear how you like the 47re behind that. I've seen a lot of happy people that used the dodge trans in their fummins, seems like the cheaper simpler option in my opinion. You'll probably end up happier with that after dealing with the crappy tuning on the last fummins trans.

Matt_P

Reaction score
Too late................

:D

Oh chit looks like I shouldnt have gone to dayton tonight, did you go edward scissorhands on my hood LOL

No billet keepers and retainers to go with the valve springs?

I'd like to hear how you like the 47re behind that. I've seen a lot of happy people that used the dodge trans in their fummins, seems like the cheaper simpler option in my opinion. You'll probably end up happier with that after dealing with the crappy tuning on the last fummins trans.

I was originally going to do those as well, but after talking with a couple people and with how my truck will be used I was told it wouldnt be necessary to add those, so I figured Id save that couple hundred bucks then.

Im thinking Im really gonna like the 47 behind it and Ill definitely post up my impressions of it when its on the road. I think its definitely more cost effective and I know they are pretty stout when they are built. Not to mention 5Rs dont like stand alones. I have the whole tranny control module from the dodge and wiring harness so it should be relatively easy to hook up. I think if the PCS in my old one was wired in right and with some more fine tuning it would have been nice, but I agree that this should end up being the much easier route.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online