Rudy's first Tow Power-X/stock fuel build

nickg3130

Reaction score
H&S came out with a new 6.4.27 update for the blackmaxx today that is able to adjust low boost fueling. Levels 0-5, 5 being the most fuel which in turn means most smoke. Maybe you can give it a shot. It doesn't hurt considering all updates from h&s are free.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
H&S came out with a new 6.4.27 update for the blackmaxx today that is able to adjust low boost fueling. Levels 0-5, 5 being the most fuel which in turn means most smoke. Maybe you can give it a shot. It doesn't hurt considering all updates from h&s are free.

Ill give her a go. I gotta figure out how to get it to the SD card. I have a Mac, not a PC, and it is usually a biotch.....

Erikclaw

Reaction score
One reason I never did the Mac conversion. Too much software I use for business and personal use doesn't convert over. Let alone not able to load tunes, that is VERY important. LOL

switchmode

Reaction score
Chris you will beable to update you SD card by running windows on you MAC it is a program called parallels it works great.

4tonGT40

Reaction score
NICELY DONE!!

Just finished up with our first Tow Power X build. Truck came out very nice. The tow X's are a nice alternative to the higher priced high power and max power turbos. They sound awesome and make great power!

The mod list is as follows-
Tow Power X
4inch downpipe
EGR delete w/wastegate and CFM+
H11 head studs
Cold side IC pipe
BOV
chromoly pushrods
stage one valve train upgrade
Elite HD trans (problems during shipping-not installed yet)
Suncoast HD tc
Caltrac traction bars
5" MBRP
Diesel site boots
AFE Stage 2 SI

We haven't been able to dyno the truck yet as it is still on a stock trans. Will be back shortly for trans replacement and dyno tuning. Pics coming soon!

Nice setup man, just curious, i ordered the same CalTracs Traction bars should have them tomorrow, how do they work for ya? Did you have to change out the front bushing on the leaf spring?

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Nice setup man, just curious, i ordered the same CalTracs Traction bars should have them tomorrow, how do they work for ya? Did you have to change out the front bushing on the leaf spring?

They work great! Smooooth burns and no hop on takeoff. I didn't install them. Hit Aaron at Rudy's up. they put em in for me.

Shipmate

Reaction score
Corb,
Good talking with you at Exit 1 the other day. Good to see you got your SCT from Eric. I want to know how much power you put down this time!

Luke

4tonGT40

Reaction score
North GA

They work great! Smooooth burns and no hop on takeoff. I didn't install them. Hit Aaron at Rudy's up. they put em in for me.

Yeah i have been dealing with Rudy's for all my "go-fast" diesel stuff. I havent been able to have them actually work on my truck bc i live in North Georgia....so lookin like im gonna have to do this the hard way...reading instructions..(dont tell anyone)

eric.davis

Reaction score
:whs: partition some space for windows and it'll all work the same. That's how I run ae on my mac.

Exactly. Install windows through bootcamp. You will be able to switch between windows and mac os. Or you can get parallels or vmware fusion both are programs to run windows at the same time as running Mac os so you don't have to reboot your computer.

KEM Performance

Reaction score
Yeah, the SCT tunes were really broad, and solid curves. it made 663 peak. I liked it, but the H&S stock tunes were more powerful, 680, and I love the "shift on the fly" of the mini maxx. We tried the KEM tunes, and they didn't work real well with my setup. They only made 590 ish. Real clean, low fuel tunes, but again, no shift on the fly. Then we tried the KEMs on the street, and couldn't get it to fuel hard enough to get more than 35 pounds of boost, and it felt slower, so we loaded the H&S tunes, and rolled on the HOT DAMN tune, and this thing moves out smartly! I have found my setup.

It sounds as if you guys had the defuel settings on the tuner set to default which is why it wouldn't give the full fueling.

Mike

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
It sounds as if you guys had the defuel settings on the tuner set to default which is why it wouldn't give the full fueling.

Mike

Well, I am willing to try it again. However, after they made the power that they made on the dyno, I didn't even buy them. We turned all the defuel settings off, and closed the wastegate (I am currently wastegated to 47 pounds) the other two tunes both made 49 pounds, and yours wouldn't get above 37... Might have gotten a bum tune. Might have had to do something else to the tuner. Might have needed a whole bunch of stuff. But the others all plugged in, and made more power. And, when driven on the street with the KEM 345 loaded, it was a dog. The Spartan 250 on the stock motor was faster. So, Aaron and I pulled over, and unloaded the KEM file, plugged the stock file back in, and loaded the Hot Damn tune, and flew back to his shop.

If you would like me to try it again, send me a chip. Also include any directions that I might need to perform to make it work properly on the Mini Maxx, and I will give them a whirl. An honest whirl. And, if they do, in fact, perform as you say they will, I will buy it from you. And I will post up in here that they do haul serious ballz, and that we made the mistake that led to its poor performance. If they do not perform, again, I will return it to you, and say nothing of it.

I will say, that they are going to have to be pretty damn awesome to get me to part ways with my SCT though... the trans tuning alone is worth a ton to me. Do you have any trans tuning in your files? I am loving the firmer shifts, and delayed lock up of the SCT tunes.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
I also made a discovery. One that will undoubtedly lead to more testing.... I towed my 5th wheel from North Carolina to Orlando last week. And then towed it to Crestview, FL this past weekend. I had the SCT on TOW. I maintained 65 mph on cruise control, and left the trans on TOW/HAUL. I was kinda getting pizzed. It would downshift on several of the hills on I-10 West. EGTs were ok, I peaked at 1168 over 402 miles. But as soon as a hill would start, teh boost would get to 32 pounds, and bam, downshift... WTH? So, I remembered a discussion on here about towing in something other than TOW tunes, and I bumped it up a notch. with the SCT in STREET mode, I hooked up to the 16,000 pound Toy Hauler, and set out to find some hills. WOW! what a difference! much steeper hills, and the same speed, cruise control, TOW /HAUL on, peaked at 1080 EGTs, boost hit 39#s a few times, and NEVER downshifted! Also, I was getting about 2 MPG better mileage!

May the testing continue....

tbsimmons

Reaction score
You know the saying, once you go MAC you never go back. Yea I think that is it.

I have kept my old laptop for my car programming, I dont trust running windows on a MAC and programming cars. You burp, fart, look at the computer wrong it will fry the PCM.

I would look on ebay for cheap PC and only load the car programs on it. Has worked for me. The only time the computer is on the internet is to download tunes.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
That is weird with Eric's tow tune. That thing pulls great for me. Boost will hit 41 and I have had the EGT's get over 1300 though passing a Duramax pulling about a 10,000# fiver going up about a 6.5% grade. One reason might be the gears though. I am above 2000 at 55. I have towed about 8000 or so tag car trailer with the street tune. I dont think I will try towing the fiver on it. TOO HOT for me. It was east for me to get to 1300 and I didnt push it too hard over flattest hills around me, held 60 on cruise just like I do on the tow tune. I dont think I could have pulled the car trailer to the beach, much steeper and longer hill. But yes the mileage is better.

I dont know what hills you are climbing, but the ones that get the EGT's hot for me are not just steep ones, it is the ones that go on forever.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
That is weird with Eric's tow tune. That thing pulls great for me. Boost will hit 41 and I have had the EGT's get over 1300 though passing a Duramax pulling about a 10,000# fiver going up about a 6.5% grade. One reason might be the gears though. I am above 2000 at 55. I have towed about 8000 or so tag car trailer with the street tune. I dont think I will try towing the fiver on it. TOO HOT for me. It was east for me to get to 1300 and I didnt push it too hard over flattest hills around me, held 60 on cruise just like I do on the tow tune. I dont think I could have pulled the car trailer to the beach, much steeper and longer hill. But yes the mileage is better.

I dont know what hills you are climbing, but the ones that get the EGT's hot for me are not just steep ones, it is the ones that go on forever.

Ahhh, you have the 4.88s huh? i got the 4.10s. and I run on 35.5 inch tires. I dont hit 2000 rpms till 68 mph. And the hills I hit are across I-10 in the pan handle of Florida. Nothing too steep, but I would say 5-7 % grades, and they last a good bit. Nothing like the hills of Wyoming on I-70.... but still pretty long ones. the ones that made me downshift, were the steep short stretches, like over-passes. I still stayed nice and cool, on either tune, but with the STREET tune loaded, the MPG def got better, and no more downshifting!

BTW, you were absolutely right about the SRW towing! lol! Across Florida with 0 wind, and light to no traffic, A-OK. But last Sunday, 95 South along the coast of Florida.... 40mph wind, kicked my AZZ! lol!

I never doubted that a dually was the way to tow heavy, but I knew the SRW would do it. And in perfect conditions, I wasn't wrong. But, I didn't think that it would be as bad in inclement weather...

And now that I am not buying a house in Florida, I am shopping for a 2010 Harley Davidson F450! lol! I wanna keep my SRW for daily driving and play time, and use the dually for what a dually is made to do....

tbsimmons

Reaction score
The gears are most likely it. I hit most of the hills about 22-2300 so not much room to downshift. But damn they suck unloaded. Hell loaded on flat ground they suck. But hills or towing in the mountains they really shine.
You got into the same weather I did the last time I towed mine with a SRW. I dont like my ass puckering the entire trip.
If they are overpasses do they have you go down hill a little so the truck lets off the gas before it has to get back into it. Mine will downshift sometimes if it is like that and i dont catch it. If I do catch it I just keep speeding up some so the truck doesnt have to work as hard going over them.
You will like the 450, they are a beast of a truck. I am actually looking for a 250 for a driver, have a Tacoma right now and just tired of a small pickup.

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
Ahhh, you have the 4.88s huh? i got the 4.10s. and I run on 35.5 inch tires. I dont hit 2000 rpms till 68 mph. And the hills I hit are across I-10 in the pan handle of Florida. Nothing too steep, but I would say 5-7 % grades, and they last a good bit. Nothing like the hills of Wyoming on I-70.... but still pretty long ones. the ones that made me downshift, were the steep short stretches, like over-passes. I still stayed nice and cool, on either tune, but with the STREET tune loaded, the MPG def got better, and no more downshifting!

BTW, you were absolutely right about the SRW towing! lol! Across Florida with 0 wind, and light to no traffic, A-OK. But last Sunday, 95 South along the coast of Florida.... 40mph wind, kicked my AZZ! lol!

I never doubted that a dually was the way to tow heavy, but I knew the SRW would do it. And in perfect conditions, I wasn't wrong. But, I didn't think that it would be as bad in inclement weather...

And now that I am not buying a house in Florida, I am shopping for a 2010 Harley Davidson F450! lol! I wanna keep my SRW for daily driving and play time, and use the dually for what a dually is made to do....
Something fun to do in bad wind is to go two wide. Most old timers know. It will break the crosswind between to trucks. Headwinds your screwed.

Latest posts

Members online