Turbo kit testing, what you guys wanna see?

Reaction score
Well, I made it back. Just to give some merit to it I went to the scale and weighed (the fuel light was on) 21,360#. Ran into some bad weather
4utuhapu.jpg

The weather made traffic a disaster around Chicago. Averaged 30mph for about a 100miles all down I-80, some of I-55 and I-94 was slow as well. Needless to say the stop and go I'm sure hurt mileage. But it averaged 10.9mpg at 21,360# so I am very pleased.

Word fail to describe how totally surprised I am at how it tows. The thing is an animal. It was good just deleted but this is a whole new dimension. EGT's hardly ever surpassed 900 and only hit 1000 a couple times when accelerating hard on on ramps. Cruising flat was 750-800 degrees. Running 6-8 psi flat and instantly spiked up with any throttle.

I think a 64 fmw would do the same with maybe a little quicker spooling, but to be honest IMO it's as good as stock now if not better.

ezy7e9at.jpg

Last edited:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I could not break 1100 with the 363 and 1400us of pw wound out thru the gears. I assume the 66 would even cooler. Depending on the fuel your tuning is giving you. What kinda boost are you seeing?

Reaction score
I could not break 1100 with the 363 and 1400us of pw wound out thru the gears. I assume the 66 would even cooler. Depending on the fuel your tuning is giving you. What kinda boost are you seeing?

About 42 or so. With the trans I've been trying not to kill it just yet. I doubt unloaded it will hit 1000 without serious abuse.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
About 42 or so. With the trans I've been trying not to kill it just yet. I doubt unloaded it will hit 1000 without serious abuse.

Wonder why u get junk transmissions. Mine is holding up very well with a ton of fuel. Have u monitored pw to see how hard yours is fueling ?

Reaction score
Wonder why u get junk transmissions. Mine is holding up very well with a ton of fuel. Have u monitored pw to see how hard yours is fueling ?

1228 is what I saw yesterday. Idk, both mine are early 11's. Idk if that has something to do about it. It's been holding I just haven't beat it to hard until after 4th gear takes. But soon as I get this spare trans done, I'll go see how much this one will take.

Reaction score
It can definitely use more fuel. Did some wot runs last night on the highway unloaded and can barely get it to break 1000 deg. Runs clean for sure.

My ebp is all screwed up though. I've changed sensors and it still doesn't work. It will read all over the board and then falls to 0 at wot. Idk if it has a wiring issue or what. Before I switched turbos it was doing the same thing.

JDub

Reaction score
I could not break 1100 with the 363 and 1400us of pw wound out thru the gears. I assume the 66 would even cooler.

The 64.5fmw actually flows the same lbs/min as a 66mm cast, so power should be pretty similar. That 73mm turbine is going to have more top end and less drive however.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Reaction score
The 64.5fmw actually flows the same lbs/min as a 66mm cast, so power should be pretty similar. That 73mm turbine is going to have more top end and less drive however.

That's why I really would like to figure out my ebp. May end up putting a manual gauge in. I'm curious what my actual drive pressure is.

For those wanting to spend the money there are lots of turbos out there. Garret, fmw, all kinds of billet wheel options too. I know that the 64.5 will spool better with roughly the same hp. It ought to for over double the price. If we are talking the best, I would throw a gtx wheeled garret or even consider a 66 precision charger. But to clear this up I was trying to do something that 90% of people would start with, box cast Borg Warner. Unfortunately I don't have enough budget to test 5 different turbos. And in all reality we are talking mainly driving characteristics and small hp differences between them all. The real fun will be when we do compounds and big fuel!

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I got my ebp thru ids. Only way you will get accurate. As for fuel as long as your pump is in hood shape you should be able to maintain 1330 , I had an mp8 and I could hang right at 1400 and gained 10 hp with it.

Reaction score
I got my ebp thru ids. Only way you will get accurate. As for fuel as long as your pump is in hood shape you should be able to maintain 1330 , I had an mp8 and I could hang right at 1400 and gained 10 hp with it.

I think I am going to just put an extra gauge in there temporarily to monitor it for testing. The minimax is useless.

JDub

Reaction score
But to clear this up I was trying to do something that 90% of people would start with, box cast Borg Warner. Unfortunately I don't have enough budget to test 5 different turbos. And in all reality we are talking mainly driving characteristics and small hp differences between them all. The real fun will be when we do compounds and big fuel!

Totally agree. If that box 66 is drivable as is, its an awesome 'budget' option.

Excited to see what real compounds do...

strokersmoker

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
On these minimax guages the ebp pid seems like it is referenced to boost almost.
As in to get actual drive pressure you would add ebp and boost together.
So when you are running 41 psi of boost you add 10 psi as pid ebp to boost pid and get 51 psi.
Still a very good ratio.
Its not that drive fallls off but that boost is coming up.
At least that is how I have been using the data.
Does that seem reasonable to you guys?

Chris.v

Reaction score
Excited to see a kit like this come to the market. Something reliable for the dayliy driver that's not going to kill the wallet and add a couple hp. Kit looks nice and clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online