Why the big push for single turbos over compounds?

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
The big push lately for singles is most likely that they were hard to get single kits a few months ago then they all came out again all at once, midwest diesel, h&s and mpd. I can't say for sure but I'd imagine they make more profit off single turbo kits because they're more pocket book friendly then a $6-10k set of compounds, more people can afford a $3000 single kit so they're selling better

Exactly. Single kits are much easier to market, produce, and sell. Compounds or triples are going to attract an even smaller group of diesel owners. With that smaller group comes a wider range of needs making it harder to target the market...Racing, Towing, Sled Pulling....

madman1234509

Reaction score
Well of course, its all about what the majority wants, or can afford. Hence the reason they make 3 billion ford focuses and 1 million powerstrokes. Lol.

BlackPearl, if you have any interests in staying stock fuel.... I bet if you swapped that 66mm for a s360 and did an add a turbo deal with a 75mm, you may have a wicked, clean street set up, with the reliability of a single stock fuel pump, and safety of wicked cool EGTs.

ingrahams

Reaction score
Ill race you in September mike if it helps put this to rest. Don't really care who wins I think I made the right choice with my driving style, sure as hell wasn't gonna spend 15k on a set of turbos that just like failing all the time. Out of everyone with max/high powers how many times have you had them rebuilt and at what cost?

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
the bigger than stock compounds aren't ridiculously priced. you can get into a nice 73/59 or 75/79 stock location setup for the same price as a nice billet single and uppipes. you can get into our billet 73/59 setups for under $2800 and they make just as much power while retaining very fast spoolup, lower egts. not to mention you can still tow, and run 100% smokeless.

if I had a toy truck is probably go single but for a daily driver that gets used very often stock location compounds are my vote. again different stroke for different folks.

I've rode in mikes truck with his multiple setups and it does drive great and pull hard. just not perfect for everyone.

if you're in it for the sound buy a 6.0 or a cummins... :poke:

Eric@HoldersDiesel

Last edited:

BlackPearl6.4

Reaction score
Well of course, its all about what the majority wants, or can afford. Hence the reason they make 3 billion ford focuses and 1 million powerstrokes. Lol.

BlackPearl, if you have any interests in staying stock fuel.... I bet if you swapped that 66mm for a s360 and did an add a turbo deal with a 75mm, you may have a wicked, clean street set up, with the reliability of a single stock fuel pump, and safety of wicked cool EGTs.

Videos are fixed. I apologize.

Yeah man I'd like to keep stock fuel if possible. Gets expensive quick with fuel upgrades. Then again, everything is pricey haha. And hell yeah that sounds sweet. I might do that later. Just lovin my single setup right now.

madman1234509

Reaction score
I definitely have noticed that too Ingrahams. Whether they are being over sped or whatever the reason is for them failing, I think the set ups we have are much more reliable and have the potential to make more power, with the simplicity of not being in the valley, easy to work on, and less parts to fail, aka the vgt. And for what we spent on these turbos they make damn good power. an S366 is cheap as hell, and readily available if it goes down. And our larger chargers aren't all that expensive, and aren't hard to find, or replace with a charger of the same frame size if needed. I do plan on buying a smaller high pressure, and most likely a ball bearing one, unless I find a smoking deal on a billet/fmw 62-63mm, and eventually one day a ball bearing atmosphere, but its way down the road. And honestly I'll probably never drive my truck hard enough, or compete with it to notice the small amount of performance gains.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
any way someone can get a 5-10mph roll or 1200-1700rpms... Insead of starting out above 2000rpms and 35mph

I like my trucks to be quick from stoplight to stoplight. Not just on the highway and the track. I want to be able to pull out in front of traffic.

Also maybe a 1200-1600rpms roll into the throttle with tq converter locked in OD.

I know... picky picky... I drive a 6.0 and I have tried many different combos of vgt turbos with many different injectors. The bigger (68, 71, 72 etc) pull super hard above 1700rpms. But still struggle a little down around 1200-1600rpms... On the other hand a stage 1 63.5mm vgt turbo spools crazy fast down low (like 20psi at 1800rpms) but then dies off by 2500-3000rpms. I just wish I could have the best of both worlds. Quick bottom end spool up of a 63mm and Strong pulling top end of a 68-71mm... I started looking into compound setups and 6.4 setups and just thought it was weird how many people give up the compounds setup to go back to a single. I guess that is why i started the thread.

I have looked at a ton of non-vgt spool up thread... but most of them are just showing off the good side. I am worried about the bad side.

Last edited:

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Kc. Look at my videos I fixed them. That'll answer your off the line question.

Thanks man. They did help. But it sounds and looks like you are in 2nd gear before you lay into it. Can you get any 10mph rolls? And maybe OD 1500rpms with tq converter locked?

sootie

Reaction score
I'm betting a 60/75 non vgt setup would be awesome for people on stock fuel. It would use up all of what the stock fuel system can give it, and still be wicked cool, able to tow... On stock fuel you probably wouldn't even need a waste gate... Then, it also gives you room to expand to slightly larger nozzles with a gate.

On Edit: ... What ever happened to the people making a turbo in front of the stock chargers? The talk of it and interest disappeared.

back pressure

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score
Thanks man. They did help. But it sounds and looks like you are in 2nd gear before you lay into it. Can you get any 10mph rolls? And maybe OD 1500rpms with tq converter locked?

Gearhead single tuning locks out OD till over 60mph...I know my OD doesn't kick in any less then 2k rpm, once you slow anything below 60 it kicks back into 4th with tc locked

BlackPearl6.4

Reaction score

The way my tune is setup idk if I can do that. I'll try though haha I was in 2nd when I got into it. Rolled into it mostly

Latest posts

Members online