Why the big push for single turbos over compounds?

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
put a cherry bomb on it :p
^^ to the gasser comment...

Seabee what size single do you have, and fuel mods? Im assuming a 66-72 with stock or small fuel mods considering you are towing at all? I have a solid 900hp truck on any given day, and with the gates cranked shut and running the "tow" or "street" position on the minimaxx, would have no issue towing some pretty decent size loads. Some of your points are valid, again, comparing singles to stock location compounds or drop ins. Otherwise, normally compounds net you cooler egts then singles, with the same fueling. I guess you can argue less stress on the motor, down low, getting on it hard, because of the better spool up characteristics of a compound set up and the ability to create more power/torque/cylinder pressure down low. As far as back pressure, I actually have more boost then back pressure until about 25psi, then am 1:1 until 40psi. And again, the changing turbos thing without a doubt sucks on stock location chargers, especially if you aren't removing the cab, but if you have a custom compound set up, like mine, or one thats been added onto a single set up like yours, its not hard at all. The only thing that takes longer is the fact that there area few most things to loosen with the extra turbo, but none of it is hard to get to like the factory compounds.

Nothing radical, FMW S371 stock fuel. If you're not at a relatively low altitude I wouldn't recommend a single but it works great for me where I live.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I would rather own a stock charger than drive a lag shaft that spools late, **** is absolutely worthless IMO.

Bro, have a snickers.

LoL

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1408660805176.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1408660805176.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 67

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score
I will say the trans tuning takes almost as much to get used to as the slow spool up of a single lol being stuck behind a car every morning on the way to work going under 60...the truck can get pretty loud in 4th gear getting up in the rpms lol my truck needs a muffler badly with the single, I've had my fun with it being loud as hell but a 5" mbrp is going on this weekend

KCTurbos

Reaction score
So...

Another questions.

Some have stated that they love the lower cruising egts? Other have stated that the cruising egts are not that bad... Which one is it? How do the egts compare?

Stroked777

Reaction score
Going back to towing. Some of you are saying it's hard to tow with a big single. Nice thing about a single is you can just swap it out for a smaller turbo and just tune the fuel back.

Cknox121

Reaction score
So...

Another questions.

Some have stated that they love the lower cruising egts? Other have stated that the cruising egts are not that bad... Which one is it? How do the egts compare?

If they are cruising on flat ground great, hit a hill and they jump to 800-1100 quick.

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
So...

Another questions.

The cruising and soft accelerating egt's is what turned me away... I was told that with a 366 it was nothing to break 1000° every time you accelerate. Also, cruising around at 3-5 psi is fine but come to a hill and the egt's climb fast. EGT's are lower at WOT though (over stock chargers, probably about the same with drop in turbos)

BlackPearl6.4

Reaction score
The cruising and soft accelerating egt's is what turned me away... I was told that with a 366 it was nothing to break 1000° every time you accelerate. Also, cruising around at 3-5 psi is fine but come to a hill and the egt's climb fast. EGT's are lower at WOT though (over stock chargers, probably about the same with drop in turbos)

You don't know what your talking about. Lol. Jk bud. I need to get my pyro fixed. I have the sensor but too lazy to replace.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
So...

Another questions.

Cruising mine stay in the 600-700 range at 65-70 mph. Hills are not an issue, they may jump a little but never more than 900's. WOT maxes out in the mid to high 1300's and will get in the low 1400's on a hot day. Way lower than the factory set up. A lot of it has to do with tuning, truck set up and driver habits.

Latest posts

Members online