Call it my build thread I guess

TXlineman83

Reaction score
You don't need to delete your bowl for this setup. That I know for sure. My understanding of the stock system (with the FASS) is basically your FASS will supply the bowl at a constant pressure. At the bowl, there is a port to HPFP to supply fuel to it, but there is another spring loaded port that opens fully at 3 PSI that sends fuel back to the tank. There is also a port of incoming fuel from the cooler. Even at WOT, the FASS is supplying more than enough fuel to bowl and the bowl is just draining the excess fuel so that is why the pressure from the FASS will remain pretty constant.

Thank you.

"Opportunity is often overlooked because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"

Thomas Edison.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
You don't need to delete your bowl for this setup. That I know for sure. My understanding of the stock system (with the FASS) is basically your FASS will supply the bowl at a constant pressure. At the bowl, there is a port to HPFP to supply fuel to it, but there is another spring loaded port that opens fully at 3 PSI that sends fuel back to the tank. There is also a port of incoming fuel from the cooler. Even at WOT, the FASS is supplying more than enough fuel to bowl and the bowl is just sending the excess fuel back to the tank so that is why the pressure from the FASS will remain pretty constant.

The only reason I could see to delete the fuel bowl in his situation is to make it a one way loop system to route the hot return fuel from the rails/HPFP back to the tank instead of back to the fuel bowl itself.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
I'm going to shut up and listen. Let the more knowledgable ones discuss this and learn.

"Opportunity is often overlooked because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"

Thomas Edison.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
I'm not arguing, or saying someone else is wrong by any means bud. Just wanted to throw the idea out there that could possibly benefit your situtation

TXlineman83

Reaction score
I'm not arguing, or saying someone else is wrong by any means bud. Just wanted to throw the idea out there that could possibly benefit your situtation

I know ur not arguing. Sorry if that's how I Made it seem. I understand the idea behind colder fuel being delivered to the injectors. I wanted to see how everyone would chime in on that topic. I'm not a diesel mechanic. I know more about gas motors. But I'm learning here. That's why I focused most of my build on getting better air flow in and out before I focused on getting more fuel to the cylinders.

Thomas Edison.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
I mentioned it because I have the same style set up on my truck. I put a Fuelab lift pump on, deleted the fuel bowl, and the outlet on the fuel cooler I ran back to the tank and have seen lower fuel temps. when I plumbed in the fuelab under the truck I added a second fuel filter (because I deleted the fuel bowl on top of the engine) and an adjustable regulator under there also and its worked flawlessly for 30k miles so far

TXlineman83

Reaction score
I mentioned it because I have the same style set up on my truck. I put a Fuelab lift pump on, deleted the fuel bowl, and the outlet on the fuel cooler I ran back to the tank and have seen lower fuel temps. when I plumbed in the fuelab under the truck I added a second fuel filter (because I deleted the fuel bowl on top of the engine) and an adjustable regulator under there also and its worked flawlessly for 30k miles so far

What kind of of temp drops did u see

Thomas Edison.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
on average approx. 10*. I never conducted formal logged tests, I basically kept my eyes on fuels temps a few days before i installed this set up in the middle of the summer with 85* days and watched the temps for a few days after with the same conditions and that's about what the average was

TXlineman83

Reaction score
on average approx. 10*. I never conducted formal logged tests, I basically kept my eyes on fuels temps a few days before i installed this set up in the middle of the summer with 85* days and watched the temps for a few days after with the same conditions and that's about what the average was

Guess that's not that bad. I could see a benefit there.

Thomas Edison.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
yeah, some might say its not worth the money to do it, but I have future plans to go with dual fuelers/bigger nozzles so I figured just get the low pressure side of things done with now. its def an added cost the way I did it. I bought elites fuel bowl delete kit and only used the machined block out of the kit because I wanted to keep the factory fuel temp sensor working, and also had to buy a AFPR, 2 fuel PSI gauges, the extra fuel filter head/filter, parker hydraulic fittings and push-lok line/fittings to plumb it all in ect... so it will need to be something you decide whether or not it fits into your budget for the build. the nice part is you can always do it down the road too

TXlineman83

Reaction score
yeah, some might say its not worth the money to do it, but I have future plans to go with dual fuelers/bigger nozzles so I figured just get the low pressure side of things done with now. its def an added cost the way I did it. I bought elites fuel bowl delete kit and only used the machined block out of the kit because I wanted to keep the factory fuel temp sensor working, and also had to buy a AFPR, 2 fuel PSI gauges, the extra fuel filter head/filter, parker hydraulic fittings and push-lok line/fittings to plumb it all in ect... so it will need to be something you decide whether or not it fits into your budget for the build. the nice part is you can always do it down the road too

Sounds like a future thing down the road. I don't know if I'm ever gonna go duals or bigger nozzles. After this is all said and done next focus is a trans.

Thomas Edison.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
So I'm doing the CCV mod in the process. I hate the idea of blow by smoking under my truck or routed into my exhaust. I'm thinking about installing an oil/air separator catch can with a clear tube down to a drain valve clear tube serving the purpose of sight glass. Any other suggestions about this before I go all OCD on it.

Thomas Edison.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
8eqabuqu.jpg

I'm thinking something along these lines in a sense.

Thomas Edison.

B585Ford

Reaction score
So I'm doing the CCV mod in the process. I hate the idea of blow by smoking under my truck or routed into my exhaust. I'm thinking about installing an oil/air separator catch can with a clear tube down to a drain valve clear tube serving the purpose of sight glass. Any other suggestions about this before I go all OCD on it.

Thomas Edison.

Make sure that thing has at least a 1" ID line in and out. I always worried about building pressure up with the catch can so that is why I vent to the atmo. It is amazing how much blow by these things put out. I have still never had 1 drop of oil come out the hose.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
Make sure that thing has at least a 1" ID line in and out. I always worried about building pressure up with the catch can so that is why I vent to the atmo. It is amazing how much blow by these things put out. I have still never had 1 drop of oil come out the hose.

Yeah. I understand what u mean. It would have to be a 1" inlet. The outlet would be the big filter on top. With out the oil or smoke. The small drain on bottom would accumulate any blow by oil or whatever. With a drain valve allowing to of course drain at will. I feel this would be a super clean approach to venting the CCV. From the videos I have seen it does show huge amounts of blow by and smoke. Does your truck do the same.

Thomas Edison.

Cknox121

Reaction score
My blow by is pretty extreme to me, but the 6.4's I have seen and watched videos on seem about the same. I'm vented to atmosphere via 3/4in hose. Smells not that terrible. I only smell it after hard run, towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXlineman83

Reaction score
Well I carry 2 little girls and little guy in there with me. I don't want anymore smell then what is needed. I've used valve cover"breathers" on my sports cars I've owned. Never had a problem. A good friend of mines cummins had the blow by hose routed behind. The cab and I couldn't stand the smoke and fumes. I really don't want to route it into my exhaust because I like a smoke free truck. But I will take that route before just running a hose. I really believe I'm going to try the oil catch can like I pictured above. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work

Thomas Edison.

sootie

Reaction score
venting it to the exhaust will not cause more smoke out the tailpipe. by the time it gets to the back of the truck it has dissipated.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
venting it to the exhaust will not cause more smoke out the tailpipe. by the time it gets to the back of the truck it has dissipated.

So if I run it into the exhaust should I place is as close to the down pipe as I can with some 1" heater hose and a bung welded onto the exhaust

Thomas Edison.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Yeah. I understand what u mean. It would have to be a 1" inlet. The outlet would be the big filter on top. With out the oil or smoke. The small drain on bottom would accumulate any blow by oil or whatever. With a drain valve allowing to of course drain at will. I feel this would be a super clean approach to venting the CCV. From the videos I have seen it does show huge amounts of blow by and smoke. Does your truck do the same.

Thomas Edison.

Yep. It looks bad just idling. I am thinking of venting to the exhaust eventually.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.